• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sore hocks

Keky

Warren Scout
I had Jager and her brother at the vets yesterday (finally they are trying to work out what her head shaking is about!) and noticed she has small red patches on her feet. I checked Fleury and Harley earlier today and found out that they both have sore feeties too :( I never noticed before as their feet are soo furry :oops:

They don't seem bothered by them at all, I have had Jager and Fleury just over a year now and Harley nearly a year, and this whole time they have been on carpet, but in their cages I originally had wood shavings covering the whole base, then a fleece blanket and then I just had the plastic base as they always moved the blanket to lie on the plastic. In the last week Jager and Fleury have moved into a dog crate with a wooden level and I have just put a folded up blanket on the level so they have a "soft" area and vet bed on part of the bottom of the crate. Harley currently just has plastic as his base as I've only just realised.

Sorry for the length just wanted to get in all the details, but how long do you think they have had sore feet? Would it have been caused by the hard surfaces in their cages or by the carpet? Thinking about it I'm sure a few months ago I looked at somebun's feet and they were fine :?

I had Jager and her brother at the vets yesterday (finally they are trying to work out what her head shaking is about!) and noticed she has small red patches on her feet. I checked Fleury and Harley earlier today and found out that they both have sore feeties too :( I never noticed before as their feet are soo furry :oops:

They don't seem bothered by them at all, I have had Jager and Fleury just over a year now and Harley nearly a year, and this whole time they have been on carpet, but in their cages I originally had wood shavings covering the whole base, then a fleece blanket and then I just had the plastic base as they always moved the blanket to lie on the plastic. In the last week Jager and Fleury have moved into a dog crate with a wooden level and I have just put a folded up blanket on the level so they have a "soft" area and vet bed on part of the bottom of the crate. Harley currently just has plastic as his base as I've only just realised.

Sorry for the length just wanted to get in all the details, but how long do you think they have had sore feet? Would it have been caused by the hard surfaces in their cages or by the carpet? Thinking about it I'm sure a few months ago I looked at somebun's feet and they were fine :?

Then they sound like normal hock callouses and with all the lovely thick fur on the feet they really only need monitoring at this stage, as the fur will protect them.

Any surface that does not allow the toes to sink in and lift the weight off the hock when bun is at rest can predispose to this condition, as can many other factors such as being overweight, lack of exercise, certain breeds with little or no fur on feet/guard hairs, gait problems from disability and soiled bedding etc.

The bedding you are providing now is ideal for indoor buns but I would pad it out more underneath and make sure every bun has somewhere padded to rest up. One folded blanket does not 'give' much. Vet beds with a towel underneath and a blanket on top is what we do here :):wave:

Yes carpets, especially manmade fibres can precipitate the problem through friction and sawdust is highly abrasive.

Then they sound like normal hock callouses and with all the lovely thick fur on the feet they really only need monitoring at this stage, as the fur will protect them.

Any surface that does not allow the toes to sink in and lift the weight off the hock when bun is at rest can predispose to this condition, as can many other factors such as being overweight, lack of exercise, certain breeds with little or no fur on feet/guard hairs, gait problems from disability and soiled bedding etc.

The bedding you are providing now is ideal for indoor buns but I would pad it out more underneath and make sure every bun has somewhere padded to rest up. One folded blanket does not 'give' much. Vet beds with a towel underneath and a blanket on top is what we do here :):wave:

Yes carpets, especially manmade fibres can precipitate the problem through friction and sawdust is highly abrasive.

The blanket is folded so it is 8 times as thick as usual if that makes any difference? I'm struggling to come up with ideas of how to cover the wooden shelf due to the shape of it :lol: It's the same shape as from this thread. I might go raid Tescos for cheap towels :lol:

The blanket is folded so it is 8 times as thick as usual if that makes any difference? I'm struggling to come up with ideas of how to cover the wooden shelf due to the shape of it :lol: It's the same shape as from this thread. I might go raid Tescos for cheap towels :lol:

Depends if bunny is a chewer or not. If not then you could cut and glue rubber or foam matting to fit and then lie the blankets on top. Although to be honest unless you are certain buns don't chew it would be safer not to bother and just put the blankets where bun likes to rest - it doesn't need to cover the whole cage, just their favourite spots for snoozing! :D

Depends if bunny is a chewer or not. If not then you could cut and glue rubber or foam matting to fit and then lie the blankets on top. Although to be honest unless you are certain buns don't chew it would be safer not to bother and just put the blankets where bun likes to rest - it doesn't need to cover the whole cage, just their favourite spots for snoozing! :D

Jager has a rubber fetish! Wonder if she'd do the same to foam :lol:

Back