• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Baby bunny question

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=234172

The last weights in here were at 8 weeks old, but I have a lot more.

I think the healthy ones (i.e. all but wish) will not be too far off the size of your average dwarf lop looking at how they have grown and how they are compared to my Autumn who is a proper dwarf lop. I do believe though, that these are slightly lower than they should have been for these particular rabbits because of the start they had.

Thank you so much :love:

I had no idea at all on what weights should be, thats really helpful. Bic and Biro seem so small. There mum was a large dwarf lop just short of 3kg

Biro is 700g so is a bit on the small size but Bic is only 550g so not much more than wish :?

They are both slowly putting on weight but the difference in their weight gain is increasing :(

They drink so much water and their cage/tray is soaking everyday :( But they seem happy enough which is the main thing :D

Wish was the one who was very behind. Do you know much about Wish's story?

My initial suspicion for the littlest one is that it may be dental. Her water consumption was absolutely massive but when she went on painkillers it is now inline with the rest of the rabbits.

They may just be stunted and not have any problem causing that other than the conditions they came from and how depleted mum was. However, we found with wish that her mouth was a complete mess- almost like she had too many teeth for her tiny mouth so they were all over the place, higgledy piggledy. With a person you would extract them and then give braces but obviously that's not an option. Wish's teeth problems showed at 16 weeks.

Now, however, she is thriving, a good weight (one we never though she would even get near) and very happy. My vet feels she does have a metabolic disorder which is another reason she is stunted (so one to watch out for maybe), but despite being a complete mini bunny, she is now just a happy bunny, just smaller than her siblings are and she will probably always stay that way.

We found oats and the dwarf excel pellets gave her the most benefit, and also very nutritious hay (right now she is eating a different kind of hay and losing weight, so hay type is important to her, for some reason).

If you don't know wish's story I can write somethig up for you if you like.

Thanks for the info.

we had a similar problem with newt and his siblings but for them it was a deformity to their heart and liver. wesleys sister was also a runt and had congenital kidney problems so I guess it could be a variety of causes :?

They are old enough for their myxi but I have left it an extra couple of weeks because of their size, but they are going next week so can get everything checked out then :)

Yup.

I'll just dig them out for you. Flare died yesterday, distended gut, no obvious blockage (as I understand it), we suspect it was related to some sort of internal deformity.

Socks- 1108(g)
Flame- 943
Flare- 985
Fizz- 971
Wish- 685

Also, I have weights for them for another two weeks after this (but not Socks because by that time he had gone back to Kris).

Yup.

I'll just dig them out for you. Flare died yesterday, distended gut, no obvious blockage (as I understand it), we suspect it was related to some sort of internal deformity.

Socks- 1108(g)
Flame- 943
Flare- 985
Fizz- 971
Wish- 685

Thank you so much. They are both around the 700g mark at 11 weeks, so definitely very small :(

So sorry about Flare :cry:

Back