• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

dirty bum

rabbitmum

Mama Doe
:wave: for the past 2 weeks hazel has had a dirty bum:oops:
we have had to bum wash twice in that time.ive cut out treats, veg ,fruit etc and cut down on her sre pellets. but its still dirty:?
never had this problem before with any of my buns..shes been panacured, has not had any stresses, no new foods so i cant work it out:?
any thoughts?

How much pellets are you giving her and what kind? I have heard that lots of people have problems of this kind on Burgess Excell pellets. I use SS but I understand Oxbow are excellent. Either way an eggcupfull a day is sufficient.

Is she eating lots of hay?

If she has been seen by a vet and no underlying problems were found there is no reason why you can't reduce her to hay and water for a few days until you get the problem under control then you can carefully reintroduce a little veg and pellets.

:wave: for the past 2 weeks hazel has had a dirty bum:oops:
we have had to bum wash twice in that time.ive cut out treats, veg ,fruit etc and cut down on her sre pellets. but its still dirty:?
never had this problem before with any of my buns..shes been panacured, has not had any stresses, no new foods so i cant work it out:?
any thoughts?

Yes, re-establishing caecal balance can take months not weeks in some rabbits, you might need to be a bit more patient in allowing the tummy to settle down.
Panacur can also upset the caecal flora which is why I don't use it routinely personally :wave:

she only eats a few pellets a day and although she eats hay shes never been a big hay eater....its been about 3 weeks or so since she had her last dose of panacur. maybe youre right she just needs more time;)
thanks for the replies:D

Back