• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

was the vet wrong?

angieb

Mama Doe
i took miffy a week and a half ago as i was worried about her wieght loss?
he checked her over felt her tummy checked her teeth and listened to her heart and tummy ect. he said she was lean and had lost 1/2kg since her spey in feb. even tho she never stopped eating and never had gone off her food.
he wasnt worried and said if i was still worried to bring her back in 2weeks to see the nurse to rewiegh her. i then asked about EC and he agreed to prescibe a 9 day course of pancur.
anyway overnight on sunday she went down hill and i took her back to the vet. she saw a different vet and he admitted her with a blocked bowel and said she was very thin. he then weighed her and she had lost a further 10% of her body wieght.
should the blockage have been noticed when she saw the vet 2 weeks ago?
also can the blockage cause the wieghtloss even tho she has been eating apart from monday?
shes had bloods done and they came back ok.

To be honest, I don't think we could know the answer to that. The 'blockage' may not even be a blockage, but a cyst, tumour, growth, abscess, etc, or may have been caused by something 'off' as opposed to something ingested, or lack of hydration, etc. We can't know.

What I do know is that a couple of years ago my Sweep lost weight and he went to the vets and because he was old we put it down to age and also the fact I'd been working on changing his diet. 4 weeks later he blew a massive lump up in his abdomen. He was old so we didn't look to any further tests, so we don't actually know what that was, but he continued to eat and drink like a trouper, still losing weight and eventually became incontinent. When my vet felt it he suspected a tumour with cysts on it.

From what you're saying there is no evidence he did anything wrong (because we don't know the full story, etc), however, I would, nowadays, have thought he might have run blood tests, etc, then, at the very least.

I think that if you have concerns you need to speak to the treating vet, asking things like 'would this have been identifiable previously', etc.

Last edited:
they think the mass is a blockage as its gone down slightly since shes started pooing.
xrays were mentioned but because she was so poorly i think the bloods and drip just got done ect
i wouldnt like to think that her being seen 2 weeks ago, if the vet HAD picked up on a blockage then she didnt need to of got so poorly. :?
but i need to find out if the losing wieght is down to the blockage or something else? because if its down to the blockage then the blockage was there 2 weeks ago?
sorry that sounds a bit double dutch. :?

What I'm saying is, the only way to know that is to know what caused the blockage, which right now you don't. I'm also saying that two weeks ago maybe more diagnostics should have been done.

Back