• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anyone else got Bunnies who wont eat from Hay rack?

Sparkle x

Wise Old Thumper
Albie and Phoebe are the only two who refuse to eat hay from a hay rack?
I have tried various didnt types, different hays, and they just arent interested?
Ive tried hiding treats in it and nothing.
I put the hay in litter trays to which they just sit and wee and poo in/on it?
I have tried different balls to put hay and hang them up? Ive tried a ball and roll thing, nothing at all?

Any ideas?

Mine won't use them, they like to munch away at their hay from the floor, I have tried all sorts:D

Spenser will ONLY eat hay from the floor of his hutch. I've tried putting it in kitchen roll tubes - he eats the tube but not the hay. I've tried putting it in an empty tissue box - he has fun tossing it about, but there is no evidence of the hay being eaten. :roll::roll::roll:

Spenser will ONLY eat hay from the floor of his hutch. I've tried putting it in kitchen roll tubes - he eats the tube but not the hay. I've tried putting it in an empty tissue box - he has fun tossing it about, but there is no evidence of the hay being eaten. :roll::roll::roll:

that may be the only thing then. bet they will munch then wee and poo all over it though :roll:

All 3 of mine will eat it off the floor, Gabby won't eat in a hay rack, Wispa will eat from a hay rack, but prefers it on the floor. And my conti with no name loves his hay (he was called Sophie until I found she is actually a he :lol: )

Ginger only wees at one end of her litter tray and eats hay from the other end, bless her. She doesn't seem to mind if hay has had poop on it, but wont go near the stuff that she has weed on (munching wise).

Biscuit however, just wont poop on hay, pulls it all out and then gets back in and pees. :roll:

I've given up with hay racks - my boys just pull the hay out then eat it off the floor :lol:

They have a pile in their litter trays each day, as that's their favourite place to eat it, and several other piles that they can lie in and eat, which seems to suit them :)

Nope. Mine will eat out of their litter trays or from the large heap I put on the ground. I do also put a heap in a very very large plastic plantpot which they will pull over and eat from. All this is ok in good weather but a real pain when weather bad (rain or, heaven forbid, snow) - not sure what the answer is. Hayracks/toilet roll tubes - not a chance.

Not interested in the hay rack, just pulls it out of a tube and leaves it, I brought a willow basket and its fairly munched but still hay in what's left of it!

I put out big bits of hay around for him, always one next to the litter tray (I can't bring myself to put it in the tray) he sits happily in the tray eating the pile next to it anyway. Then I scatter some around in piles for him :)

Digit, used to eat from the hay rack, but I had to take it away from him as he likes sitting ontop of it, and trying to balance on it no matter how high it is on the cage, so i was worried about him getting his legs caught in it, but all 3 of mine just eat it of the floor

Mine eat it out of the hay rack but it always looks like such a pain for them, so I got them a massive dog bowl (I think its 10 inches in diameter and about 3 inches deep, its a mason and cash dog water bowl). I pile it high with timothy hay every morning and they instantly shove their faces in it and munch - it just looks so much easier for them than the rack or hay ball.

They used to eat from a hay rack, but a little while ago they started to just pull out the hay. Within minutes the hay is all over the floor and they refuse to eat hay from the floor.... Fortunately they don't have any problems eating from those hay balls, so problem solved, I stopped using the hay rack. Only when I'm in a hurry, but I guess that's kind of useless since they will pull it out and not eat it anyways.. :p

Back