• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please help....

Nicky87

New Kit
Hey guys

I ve got a 18 month old bunny and recently her sister died infront of her, since i ve noticed she hasnt been eating and her eye is weepy and the fur around the eye has come off. I took her to the vets and her teeth were in bad condition so they sorted them out and also flushed her eye, she is loosing weight due to not eating properly. I have been feeding her through a saringe some of that recovery stuff. I really want her to start eating on her own. I ve tried everything to make her eat by herself but doesnt seem to be working that great. I keep taking her to vets who are monitoring her, i take her back on weds and do not want her weight to of dropped anymore. Does anyone know what could be wrong with her or any ideas what i can do??

Thanks guys xx

This does sound like a dental issue. Is she eating lots of hay? What happened to her sister?

Sorry to hear her sister died :cry: sleep tight little one

Yeah the vets said her teeth were in a bad way, shes had them sorted now, she has one tooth up and one tooth down i ve checked her mouth and it doesnt look like another tooth is started to grow, her sister was frightened to death by a dog, no blood was drew i think she was frightened and had a heart attack it was awful. She doesnt seem to be eating much, shes eating a bit of her biscuit and yoghurt drops, also she seems to make the movement with her mouth as though shes eating but shes not, she shouldnt be in any pain as shes having pain killer i just really dont know what to do :( xx

Has she got pain medication? You should be giving her some every day. If she's in pain she won't eat. (Edit: just read your new post. Ignore this.)

You can also try offering her porridge oats and herbs to see if they take her fancy.

I make porridge up with water and apple and banana, cook it and puree it. When it's cooled down I syringe feed it and all my pets love it. It' tastier than recovery food and will help put on weight. But still feed the recovery food as well.

Perhaps you could get a second opinion from another vet? But good luck and keep us updated.

Has she had a skull x-ray? Have you thought about getting her a friend?

I'm also very sorry you lost her sister.

:( aww poor you and poor girlie. I would cut out things like biscuits and yoghurt drops as they aren't very good for them. What do you feed her on - pellets or muesli? Any greens? What treats does she get, what type of hay?

Are you giving her pain relief or is she only getting it at the vets. If she gets it at the vets it's probably worn off by now.

Sorry for all the questions!! :wave:

Shes not had a skull x-ray, dya think i should ask for one??

I didnt want to get her a friend incase that made her worse in missing her sister as different smells etc, i got her a soft toy rabbit which looks like her sister did and she does snuggle upto that, i was thinkin of getting a new bunny for her to get pally with but im scared incase it makes her worse xx

Yeah she had a pain relief injection last friday at the vets and i give it to her twice a day.

Yeah she has timothy hay, i put a plate of fruit and veg and a bowl or softened pellets, she seemed to of ate a tiny bit of apple. I went to pets at home before i bought her a different type of food incase it was the food she went off, and also got these dandelion, hay sticks and apple bits that are sposed to help with emotional problems just incase it is her sister why shes been feeling down, she seems ok in herself she is running about fine its just the eatin xx

A skull x-ray would be sensible to see what her tooth roots are doing.

Also, if she bonds with a friend it can really help. Some rabbits need a friend straight away, others are not bothered. I just wonder whether she might get some comfort from another bunny, but it can be risky bonding bunnies not 100%. But potentially they could live next door to each other so she could at least see the other bunny until she is doing better.

be careful not to introduce too much new stuff at once it might upset her stomach :wave: might just take her a while to recover from her dental and gain some weight

I ve got another bunny Rodney who is in the cage next to her and when he goes for a run around the garden he ll go to see her, im just wondering whether to try another girl bunny with her to play with, if doesnt work out i ve always got another hutch shes can live. They would fight would they?? xx

Last edited:
She may benefit from some other bunny company if she is used to having somebun around. There may be some rescue ones on here that you could consider.

Is she spayed?

It does sound like her teeth are still giving her some discomfort, when were they done?

No none of mine are neutered, Im not sure though about bonding em because Rodney is 4 and a half and hes a big tubby and Frankie my poorly is only tiny so i wouldnt want Rodney hurting her or anything.

She had her front teeth burnt down 2 weeks ago and the spores off her back teeth last Tuesday. Im dreading her loosing more weight on Weds coz shes only 1.25kg now xx

Back