• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What do you/have you lined your bunnies' indoor homes with?

Bunny Buddy

Wise Old Thumper
I need to sort something out for Rudy and Tinks. They currently have carpet but have chewed it so badly, they've also chewed the layer of vinyl underneath. I've always been aware that it's potentially dangerous to let them chew carpet but I don't know how else to make their home. I'm determined to make a change now I know just how easily you can lose them to blockages (Dot was not a carpet chewer)

Wood would be too slippery (that's what I've found of plywood in hutches anyway), carpet and vinyl potentially dangerous as they chew it. Tink also has a bit of a habit of weeing on the carpet so something I could clean up would also be a bonus.

So, those of you with destructive bunnies, what do you use? Is there a particularly tough hardwearing carpet that they won't chew?

Thanks in anticipation.

We have various - downstairs is ceramic tiles - no chance of any teefs getting them up! :shock: ;)

But upstairs we have vinyl in two rooms secured down to stop teeth & in another we have stick down vinyl tiles on top of a floor that Mark boarded out. That said some of them have started to pop up & it looks like we'll need to re-do them! :roll:

I don't know about hardwaring carpet I'm afraid :(

:wave: Thank you.

At the moment I have put the carpet inside the pen and up the edges a bit to stop debris coming out but I suppose if I built the pen on top of the carpet/vinyl etc so no edges exposed that could be the answer to the chewing.

The most recent pack of NIC panels I got was 50% finer mesh panels so maybe also use them for the first panel near the floor. ... I still need to work out what to do with the shelves though :?

I have also given them things designed for bunnies to chew but they prefer the carpet, of course :roll:

We have ours on a fleece over an old rug over hardboard. The fleece is new because the rug on its own was giving Truffle sore hocks.

I think most people advocate lino though and it would definitely be easier to clean.

Mine live in my lounge so there is carpet down (and stupidly expensive carpet too!) so we have tried various things with the aim of making the buns comfy (carpet or rugs gives Lavender sore hocks) and protecting the carpet. We have recently settled on childrens foam tiles, and two layers of blankets (old candlewick bed spread and a fluffy blanky on top). Works brilliantly. The blankets stop then buns chewing the foam tiles, and the foam tiles are water proof so any bowl spillages or little accident (oddly we've had a couple lately) are ok. Also easy to clean - blankets inthe washing machine, hoover tiles and wipe them over with disinfectant wipes.

I line Toby Rabbits indoor hutch/cage with newspaper. I'm lucky as I get a suppy of old broadsheet papers which makes lining it easier. I open up the newspapers, lay them down then each day peel off the top sheets to keep things clean & tidy. Toby only pees & poos in his litter tray.

I've got newspaper in the cage and cardboard in the pen. They do wee on the cardboard though, unfortunately, but it dries quickly and doesn't get through to the laminate underneath. This is despite having three litter trays and a storage box in there too. Where can you buy lino from?

Mine live in the living room.

Currently have;

House carpet, then a shower curtain underneath to stop any seepage, then bunny carpet (cheap office carpeting, £12 for 2 sq mtrs, low pile so now chewing). His Savic puppy pen on top of that, but with a good 10 inches either side to stop chewing. Has chewed tiny bits outside when he's out free-ranging, but he's stopped that as he's grown up.

New setup;

House carpet, then a shower curtain underneath to stop any seepage, then cushioned lino (3mm) with the puppy pen on it then 2 carpet tiles from carpet right (70p each, just old stock from samples) each 50cm x 50cm and some fleeces to lie upon and more toys than you can shake a stick at :)

my buns just have my house to put it bluntly. The carpet is covered with vetbed and the 'road mats' from Ikea, the corners of the sofa's have the extra large sized comfy logs moulded to minimise sofa eating and cable covers, cushions protect wires. We keep the kitchen door closed if we're out to prevent risk of injury.

Lucky doesnt like hard floors to walk on - like ceramic tiles, lino, vinyl or laminate (only concrete). He has those rubber backed type mats and they are great. We got them from Morrisons and they were quite cheap too.

I have some heavy duty equine rubber matting left over from flooring the shed - it cut with a stanley knife, but you cut it really tight into the corners, so they can't get round the edge - it's too heavy for them to flip up & chew:D

I bought mine in 6' by 4' mats - for £34 - but there's smaller versions.

Make sure you get the thick version though, as heavy enough.

Good for sore hocks too:D

My two (especially Pepper) like to eat the rubber backing from rubber-backed mats! I've had to throw away two (cheap at least) bathroom mats.

Hi, I thought I read somewhere that newpaper print was bad for bunnies if they eat it. Did I imagine that?

Jenson appears to like the plastic of the bottom of his cage, what ever I put down he moves (currently one end has nothing and hay etc all up the other, strange). The trouble is that sometimes he slips when getting in and out of his cage (plywood ramp with little grips and rubber backed mat/s in the run).

Any suggestions? I don't want to put a mat in because I won't be able to clean it, although he only wee's in his tray.

i have got carpet in mine its great just get excess hay off take it out and hoover it and a plastic dog bed with newspaper and hay for toilet i am lucky they are very clean xxx

We have wooden board, lino then battens round the edge to secure the lino from slipping or chewing. Works great for us but it a pain on a large scale.

Back