• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Falling Over

Kody

New Kit
Hi

I wondered if anyone had any ideas of what could be wrong with my 6 and half year old netherland dwarf, Oscar as he seems to have stumped the vet.

When out in the garden he sometimes falls over onto his side and then can't get himself back up again. There doesn't seem to be any reason for the falling over.

Any help greatlly appreciated.

Has he had both his ears cultured for infection?

Has he shown signs of any hind leg weakness?

Thanks for the reply.

No he hasn't had his ears checked, I shall look into this. His back legs always seem fine and when I put him upright he hops off like nothing's happened.

There may not be a visible infection, but a culture might identify something. When you pick him up, or when it happens, does he have nystagmus? (like his eyes moving backwards and forwards)?

As well as the ears and legs you may also need to have a look at his brain, possibly too.

Last edited:
My rabbit fell over a lot after she got ear mites. She shook her head so hard she fell over... does your bunny shake it's head at all?

does he only fall one way ie onto the left for example? if hes only falling one way it could be e cuniculi....i dont think it would hurt to panacur him anyway...has he been wormed recently? has he been ill in the past ten days?or stressed?

Thanks for all your replies.

His eyes don't role at all and there's no head shaking.

Trying to think if he falls one way all the time and I think he probably does. (Trying to picture him lieing in the garden) He had a short course of panacur recently but am I right in saying if it is EC he needs to have 28 days worth?

Thanks for the reply.

No he hasn't had his ears checked, I shall look into this. His back legs always seem fine and when I put him upright he hops off like nothing's happened.

I'd be a little concerned that this has 'stumped' your vet, yet he hasn't checked your bunnies ears :?

Perhaps you could let us know where you are and a different vet could be suggested? It does sound like your vet isn't very rabbit savvy possibly.

Hope you can get to the bottom of your bunny falling over.

where do you live?maybe we can suggest a good bun vet....
if it is e c panacur for 28 days, stemitil , metacam are essential.
it could otherwise be an ear infection:? which you will need an xray to confirm..although panacuring your bun will not hurt either way, plus metacam/meloxytil for pain also for both cases..:) hope he gets better soon

I would def go to another vet

It could be an ear infection - so bun would need pain relief & antibiotics

EC/onset of head tilt - would need anti imflammatory & panacur (4-6 weeks)

Thanks everyone for your replies. I live in Southampton.

I've started him on panacur today and if anyone can recomend a good rabbit vet that would be great.

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who replied on this thread and sent me PMs.

Sadly Oscar died last week, we never did get to the bottom of what wrong with him. :cry:

I'm sorry you lost Oscar.

It makes it worse when you don't know the reason.:(

Binky free Oscar.

Thanks for your messages I really miss him, had had him since he was a tiny baby. It was a shock when he died I just found him in his run taking his last breaths.:cry: And his girlfriend really misses him as well.:(

Back