• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Special appeal animal rehoming

weeble

A recent local cruelty case where the dog was reserved within hours of being advertised along with their story and the recent sad story of Anne in RIN have got me thinking.

Are people more keen to offer these animals a home because they percieve them as being more needy? Or are their times when these stories are on tv or in the papers where the people also want to be told what a good job they have done adopting the animal and how good they are? (I dont mean people on here or any rabbits that have been in RIN I hasten to add) There are other animals, sometimes at the same adoption centre who have been in rescue in some cases for over a year that people havent offered a home to that dont have the same sad background, just got me wondering. What do others think?

I think there will be a mix of things for different people. I think a lot of people (again not on this forum) have 'ostrich' syndrome and so only realise animals are in need when they are shoved in your face and don't want to realise the bigger problem that is out there.

Personally, I tend to feel I can offer more to the 'special' rabbits than I can to the average rabbit because I 'get' them. I feel 'anyone' can take on your average bunny or two, but many special bunnies get overlooked, and that because I don't work, how good understanding, have forums and know who to talk to, where to research, etc, I can provide something for them. I'm not saying I'm the best option because I know I'm not and I know that many people do it better, but at the same time, I sometimes feel I can provide something.

The last 6 I have taken on would all have been PTS (with the exception of Wish, who could easily have died) had I not taken them, and the 7th would have been an RSPCA bounceback because she is virtually unbondable.

On a very self focused aspect, I've also come to realise that I like to give rabbits what I have not had, so that continual support, love, non judgement and help. I think it creates some sort of inner peace in me.

Having said all that, Currently I have no intentions to take anymore in, although my remaining foster may stay with me. I need to focus on who I have, not keep adding.

I have offered Anne a home as I know I have the space and I can also give her the commitment and help that she needs and deserves:D. The 'what a good job you are doing' as far as I am concerned just doesn't exist. I feel that people should take the animal because they can genuinely help it and not for their own gratification. Everybody is different though as some people like the attention that sometimes comes with taking in more needy animals that as been in the press or tv or just the fact they have been highlighted.

I have offered Anne a home as I know I have the space and I can also give her the commitment and help that she needs and deserves:D. The 'what a good job you are doing' as far as I am concerned just doesn't exist. I feel that people should take the animal because they can genuinely help it and not for their own gratification. Everybody is different though as some people like the attention that sometimes comes with taking in more needy animals that as been in the press or tv or just the fact they have been highlighted.

Oh Kay please dont think that was in anyway aimed at you or any of the other people that offered Anne a home - the thread just got me thinking about other high profile cases that have been in the news or the features that used to be on Paul O Grady

Last edited:
I find it really sad the Anne is offered a number of homes within a day or so of being put on here. Yet we have a bun with similar problems yet she has been in care for months without a single offer of a home.

I am really glad Anne has a home, but I am just sad for the other bunnies that have similar problems but are unlikely to ever get a home.

I find it really sad the Anne is offered a number of homes within a day or so of being put on here. Yet we have a bun with similar problems yet she has been in care for months without a single offer of a home.

I am really glad Anne has a home, but I am just sad for the other bunnies that have similar problems but are unlikely to ever get a home.

Is it worth highlighting her to any of the people who offered Anne a home maybe?

I was sort of thinking almost the opposite thing today :?

That so many people get upset when some rescues take quite a tough approach with dental bunnies yet so many dental bunnies have absolutely no interest :(

We took Willoughby as not a single person contacted kris about him despite being highlighted on here. The same with Petal and Rocky from RSPCA walsall. They had been in rescues "forever" with no interest :( Rocky was going to be pts because no-one wanted him.

So yes it is strange that certain rabbits get highlighted and are offered so many homes yet others are completely over looked :?

I think there will be a mix of things for different people. I think a lot of people (again not on this forum) have 'ostrich' syndrome and so only realise animals are in need when they are shoved in your face and don't want to realise the bigger problem that is out there.

Personally, I tend to feel I can offer more to the 'special' rabbits than I can to the average rabbit because I 'get' them. I feel 'anyone' can take on your average bunny or two, but many special bunnies get overlooked, and that because I don't work, how good understanding, have forums and know who to talk to, where to research, etc, I can provide something for them. I'm not saying I'm the best option because I know I'm not and I know that many people do it better, but at the same time, I sometimes feel I can provide something.

The last 6 I have taken on would all have been PTS (with the exception of Wish, who could easily have died) had I not taken them, and the 7th would have been an RSPCA bounceback because she is virtually unbondable.

On a very self focused aspect, I've also come to realise that I like to give rabbits what I have not had, so that continual support, love, non judgement and help. I think it creates some sort of inner peace in me.

Having said all that, Currently I have no intentions to take anymore in, although my remaining foster may stay with me. I need to focus on who I have, not keep adding.

I totally agree with that. :shock:

We may be seen to take in 'special' animals but only tend to do it because many people wouldn't and it isn't always a sad story, it may be to help someone who truely loves their elderly pet and can't look after it or an animal that is seen as elderly and may need special care soon ( ie Betsy the 5 year old rabbit), we took Murray mouse because I was concerned he may end up as live bait ( not many people want 'smelly' male mice).
I don't usually offer to take animals on here because we are just so far away for everybody else, in Annie's case she was potentially going to be PTS and I felt because we had already experienced a very aggressive rabbit before we could help her.

I think many people like to feel they have saved an animal from a bad place, I also agree many aren't aware of rescues, especially that there are rescues for all types of animals and when some story comes up they decide they want to help. As long as people are checked out fully before the animal is rehomed I think it is great but it can backfire if they decide they can't cope and the animal is returned in an even more confused state than before.

I agree with Liz that I think It's "strange" that there is so much interest for some animals over others. :? (not necessarily on RU, but in general...I hasten to add!)

All animals need a home.

I'd like to think that people are touched by a story, rather than for the praise. ...and then there are the people who have had buns with similar problems, and so feel like they "know" the needs of that bun, so can help.

Last edited:
I agree with Liz that I think It's "strange" that there is so much interest for some animals over others. :? (not necessarily on RU, but in general...I hasten to add!)

All animals need a home.

I'd like to think that people are touched by a story, rather than for the praise. ...and then there are the people who have had buns with similar problems, and so feel like they "know" the needs of that bun, so can help.

This is what I was trying to say just badly :oops:

I would like to say I didn't put her on here for people to think this was done as being out to getting a story on the forum, I very rarely ask for help with difficult buns and now feel as though perhaps I shouldn't have done this. I was only trying to see if anyway anyone was willing to take her as I had tried locally. Maybe next time I won't ask if this is how people see it

I don't think anybody saw it that way, it was the best thing to do because at least on here there are people who know how aggressive a rabbit can be and know if they can handle it. I don't think any rescue should be put off 'advertising' ( for want of a better word) any rabbit but especially one that is going to be difficult to rehome for various reasons.

I would like to say I didn't put her on here for people to think this was done as being out to getting a story on the forum, I very rarely ask for help with difficult buns and now feel as though perhaps I shouldn't have done this. I was only trying to see if anyway anyone was willing to take her as I had tried locally. Maybe next time I won't ask if this is how people see it

No, no, no!! That's not at all what I meant!! I think it's incredible that she's found a home.....(MORE than one, if she wanted! :lol:) You're a special person for giving her the chance where others wouldn't! :love:

What I find odd is that there are so many animals in rescue...and then it's the ones that are on TV that get hundreds of offers for a home......and yet the ones on TV are just the tip of the iceburg...but people don't seem to realise, or care just how many need homes!

RU is incredible for finding buns homes! :love::love:

Please don't think I was in any way sullying the work you do!! :oops: :(

At the end of the day it doesn't matter how people see it. What matters is that she has a home and a chance. The bunny is the most important thing in all of this. You can only do the best for the animals in your care, which is what you did.

Maybe instead of you not posting, more people should post about their problem bunnies/animals (not just here, but generally).

I think that we shouldn't focus on the negative aspect of this, rather use it to the rabbits' advantage. Write about them in a very emotive way, 'sell' them via their stories. Would it get more rabbits homes?

If anyone has a long stay rabbit perhaps they should re write their story in a sad way and see if it makes a difference?

I must admit that when we adopted Fay and Starbuck it was because their separate stories just totally got in to my heart and I wanted to give them love and a forever home because of their very sad experiences.

There was also an element of "can we, should we?" in our minds and we thought it through very thoroughly so it wasnt just an emotive thing.

Their bond didnt work out but as we had thought it all through we had a contingency plan, which we are still implementing, but by having Starbuck who is a dental bunny, it has taught us a lot about caring for a bunny with dental issues. This alone has led us to adopting Kenco from Tracy, who is also a dental bunny and I think perhaps we adopted Kenco because we again knew we could offer him a home where his dental needs could be cared for.

Although we arent experts its perhaps better that he came to live with us, with the support of our vet and RU for advice, than to a home that had no experience of such things. I know he would have been very well looked after staying with Tracy but at 6 years old I really thought he deserved a wifey bun, and Fay needed a husbun so the rest is history as they say......

I would love to say to a rescue, when we next adopt, which bun has been here the longest, but you have to be realistic and make the right adoption for you and your buns :D

PS Twinkle and Star had no 'sad story' - they were our first buns and just captured our hearts with their mischievious scatty scaredy bun ways!

Kath I didn't take this thread personally even though Anne's thread was mentioned, I was just putting my point across:D

If I can help any animal have a chance at a better life then I will do it for them reagardless of what people think or the story behind it as i am sure most people will. I like working with aggressive rabbits and have the space to offer a forever home to one.
As a rescue Elaine as done right by Anne and not had her pts, Anne's behaviour as at least highlighted in the hope someone could offer her a chance and also getting the right home that is suitable for her(nothing wrong in that). It is surprising when running a rescue at calls you get off the public asking you for the 'one' that nobody wants or the most tragic of stories, is this out of genuine concern or for self gratification? a tough question to answer:?

Well i know that i would be more inclined to go for an animal that has been overlooked or been in rescue a long time. Certainly not because id want any publicity or self gratification because of it. My main reason is i dont care what an animal looks like/history/problems etc - if i can offer a good home i'd rather take one that has the least likely chance of getting one - thus giving that animal a home and allowing a rescue to take on another needy one.
Rupert who i got from Kay was overlooked and he's the sweetest, most handsome bun you could imagine. (black bun in siggy)

I think the more "ordinary" an animal is the less likely it is to get a home as quickly as the cute one, the neglected one, the three legged one etc. I think its just most of the time human nature. People think that these ones would be overlooked when in fact everyone is thinking the same! The ordinary ones just kind of fade into the background.

Back