• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bolt injured his leg, now limping!

Bolt

Young Bun
Hi guys,

Just when we thought everything is perfect after we manage to bond Bolt and Kiwi together, Bolt goes and injuries his right leg :(

We dont know how he did it, we know roughly the date it happened on. Bolt likes to jump about so i suspect he must've slipped or fell on his leg, though the height is only about 40cm high (the stairs we made for them to get back to their cage).

Noone has owned up if they played with him then again i dont think anyone did. He has been to the vets and they said they cant find or feel anything wrong with his leg, no fractures or dislocations, suspect is could be his hip. Vet can see he is limping, sorta lifting his right leg up as he walks.

He is eating, drinking, relaxing fine, he doesnt look like he is in pain but we got him some pain killers and anti-flammitry meds and vet expects him to be 100% again.

He now manages to stand on both feet but not able to properly scratch his ear on that leg. I'm thinking can we buy him pet insurance and get the insurance to cover for his x-ray (which is £195) and thats just for inspection!

what you think guys?

The Insurance won't cover the x-ray because it is a pre-existig medical condition. I do think he needs an x-ray though, although it may be soft tissue damage. Its important to rule things out though. It may not be his hip, but his spine, his leg or something else. I think there needs to be further investigation into it if he is not improving.

i'll need to look up the insurance stuff later but if he isnt back 100% within 10 days (sat being the start), then we will have the x ray done.

your right about the pre-existing medical condition.

Bolt 'seems' to be getting better, he started humping Kiwi again, surely needs 2 legs to do that!

He still runs about fine, can still hop into his cage when he feels like it, dont like leaving him in his cage all day as he tends to nip the cage to let me know he wants to play.

Back