• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I need some ideas please!

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
Wish and Autumnare now bonded but Wish is starting to lose weight. It tallied with when she was not eating by herself and I suspect she eats slower than he does and he is wolfing down her pellets.

I could separate them at feeding time, but I don't really want to do this unless I have to.

She is half his size, so what I'm thinking is having something only she can get in (or just stick her pinhead in), and having her food in there, because he won't be able to get to it. I currently have no ready made ideas so am looking to have to create something, unless some genius can suggest something I could buy.

He is an average dwarf lop at 2.3kg. She is a teeny tiny loppy creation and weighs about 1.2kg when healthy. If its just for her head the hole needs to be about 7-10 cm but for her to get in the gap would need to be 10-15 cms, I guess.

So any ideas on that? Are you a genius? Do you have any ideas on anythng buyable?

Would it work if they had their standard feeding times together, but you separated her for a personal top up?

I'm not a genius sorry :oops: only think I could think of with a little hole was those igloo things you see in pet shops for guineas :oops:

I have to feed my two from separate bowls and then play referee in the middle till it's all gone! Pud can inhale her food in seconds whereas Pye savours every little bite so she's normally trying to steal his!

I'm not a genius sorry :oops: only think I could think of with a little hole was those igloo things you see in pet shops for guineas :oops:

I have to feed my two from separate bowls and then play referee in the middle till it's all gone! Pud can inhale her food in seconds whereas Pye savours every little bite so she's normally trying to steal his!

This is what I do with Lucy and Zero.

You could try slowing Autumn down, by putting his food somewhere a bit harder to get to like one of those treat balls? Or a pigloo is a good idea but if he is like my greedy lot might he try to shove Wish and hurt her?

Why don't you want to separate at food time? :wave:

Might seem like a crazy idea, and not overly sure it would work but I saw this tv program the other day. They had a dog who was absolutely scoffing their food down, and so didn't feel full. They used a muffin try and filled the holes with the biscuits - because the dog couldn't get a huge mouthful, it slowed the process right down.

I have two dogs, one scoffs it down and the other is very slow. We now have Jack (slow eater) finishing before Tasha (eating out of muffin tray). This is absolutely amazing to us as she is such a pig!!

You could either get a muffin tray with tiny holes that only Wish can use or give Autumn his pellets in a muffin tray and Wish her pellets in a normal bowl.

One of my three is much younger and she has to eat twice as much because she's still growing. She eats half of what she needs with the other two and I take her out everyday to eat the other half, problem solved..

Back