• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Not Drinking Much & Bowl v Bottle!

sonnet

Alpha Buck
Dylan doesn't seem to drink much compared to my RB bun.
Lately he doesn't seem to be drinking alot even though I've switched him over to a bowl in the hope it would help as he started ignoring his bottle! :roll:

He's still weeing so I'm assuming he's getting his fluid from his veges/grass.
What can I do to encourage him to drink more & should I stick with the bowl or try & get him back on his bottle? Typical male - very confusing! :lol:

Unless this is a sudden change, I wouldn't worry too much. Spenser doesn't drink much, and didn't even in high summer. I rushed him off to the vet after his first week, convinced he must be dehydrated but the vet said he was absolutely fine - no symptoms of dehydration at all. I have to admit, Spenser doesn't eat as much hay as he should, and it might be the larger percentage of his diet made up by fresh veg means he doesn't need to drink much. Like you I changed to a bowl, and he does seem to prefer this. :wave:

I would also leave him both bowl & bottle.
If he's weeing & not passing chalk he's getting his fluids from fresh food.

As you know bunnies can't sweat but they can still lose a lot of water from their upper airways from breathing faster in the hot summer weather to cool down, & therefore need to drink more. It's cooler now - which is the most likely reason why he's drinking less. A difference between buns can be accounted for by coat thickness.

if you need to get more fluids into a bun a bowl with un sweetened fruit juice in it always helps...just enough to colour the water so to speak;)

All 3 of mine drink differently, my Belgian hare drinks like a fish, but has slowed down now the weather has changed. Wispa drinks little, but he's always been like it. And my conti, drinks somewhere in-between. But my conti is only 6 months.

Thanks everyone. Apart from a flare up of a gassy tum at the wknd (which I managed to get moving with Infacol & tummy rubs-unsure what caused it) he's been fine health-wise, so I'll stick with both bowl & bottle.

Back