• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Baby Bunnies...need help/advice on if they are healthy.

Naomi-Rose

New Kit
Hi, I am new to this forum and do not really know how to use it... but I think I am doing it right. :)

So I am VERY concerned that my baby bunnies are unhealthy. I honestly do not know how old they are but they still have their eyes closed. The parent rabbits stay at my grandparents and when they gave birth we were surprised as we were told when we adopted them they were 2 girls. THe problem is that we do not know which rabbit is the mother and father but neither of them were eating at all and they were jumping on top of the babies and trying to bite them. We called a vet and she advised we remove the rabbits bring them to our house and try and hand rear them. So we did.

My grandmother first noticed the babies on Tuesday and it is now Monday night so they are at least 6 days old...they have fur. We have been feeding them 6mLs of the formula by dropper 2 times a day in roughly 12 hour periods. The problem is, sometimes they do not sit still to eat or even after the formula is on their lips they do not "lick and swallow it"... is it normal for them to be squirmish and not always want to eat?

We were also told we had to stimulate their genitalia's until they produced urine and a stool. They all produce urine but we can not get them to produce a stool as we dont now how to get them to "go". Rubbing isn't seeming to do the job and we are worrying.

I also think they look to skinny and doing research online they do not look fat enough. But I don't know... You can feel their back bone and their necks sag down with skin.

I can't even tell you what kind of rabbits they are as we adopted them from a shelter. Nor can we go to the vet as we live nowhere near one.

Can anyone help??

I am trying to post images but can not seem to do it...

Please help if you can. :)

Thank you for reading this.

-Naomi-Rose

I am thinking I could email photos to people if they think it will help?? Or if I give you my family email address, send me a message so I can send you photos??? I dunno... I am just really worried.

***Thanks soooo much to GrahamL for uploading the pics to the "thread" (is that what is is called? Haha)

Last edited:
I can't offer advice, as i dont know anything about baby bunnies, but i can offer to put the pictures up for you if you want to email them to me?

PM me and i'll give you my email address to send them to if you wish.

I would suggest going onto www.rabbitsonline.net They have a guy on there who handrears dozens of baby wildies a year, he may be able to help.

The mum's milk may have come in now, it might be worth feeling around under neath both the adults and seeing if either have obvious milk. I would also have a check of their genitals and see if you can identify which is the male (hopefully if he has testicles that will be the easiest way).

You also need to know you are facing another litter 31 days after these have been born. Are the male and female separate now? I not, separate immediately.

Pics for Naomi-Rose.

Bunnies3.jpg

Rabbits.jpg

By the way, to add some sort of useful reply, those babies are somewhere between 9-11 days old. Mum's milk may now have dried up so my point before may be of no relevance with relation to getting her to feed them.

I would think maybe looking for a foster mum for them may be worth a try.

yes, as Sky-O has said, about 10 days old, you can see them start to open thier eyes.
Have you seperated the two original rabbits?
If not seperate them now, but you may have another litter due a month from when the first litter was born. (you may be able to take them to suckle off mum when if a next litter is born)
I dont have any help reguarding the hand rearing sorry, I hope they survive.

Back