• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Possible Bloat/Gut stasis

Hi everyone

I'm hoping I might be able to get some advice regarding a young bun that I've just taken on. He is an 8 week old conti giant. My friend bought 2 of his siblings yesterday and the lady said that she had seperated this little guy as she thought he had bloat - she hadn't taken him to a vet and was just going to wait to see if he pulled through :censored:. After worrying about him all night I called her this morning to see if she would let me have him to see if I could help him at all. She finally agreed to let me have him for £10 and I picked him up around 5pm ish.

His tummy is pretty swollen and he is quite subdued, although not totally flat. So far I've given him Metacam, Baytril, Infacol and Fibreplex. I've also been trying a little gentle massage on his tum which he seems to be enjoying. I have tried syringing some water into him, but he gets quite stressed with this. He has started to make some gut sounds over the last hour or so, and I'm hoping this is a good sign. He has tried to nibble a tiny amount of hay, but hasn't passed any poos at all today. I will be taking him to my vet in the morning but was hoping somone might be able to suggest anything else that I could try for him until then.

Thanks a million

Ellen

Hi everyone

I'm hoping I might be able to get some advice regarding a young bun that I've just taken on. He is an 8 week old conti giant. My friend bought 2 of his siblings yesterday and the lady said that she had seperated this little guy as she thought he had bloat - she hadn't taken him to a vet and was just going to wait to see if he pulled through :censored:. After worrying about him all night I called her this morning to see if she would let me have him to see if I could help him at all. She finally agreed to let me have him for £10 and I picked him up around 5pm ish.

His tummy is pretty swollen and he is quite subdued, although not totally flat. So far I've given him Metacam, Baytril, Infacol and Fibreplex. I've also been trying a little gentle massage on his tum which he seems to be enjoying. I have tried syringing some water into him, but he gets quite stressed with this. He has started to make some gut sounds over the last hour or so, and I'm hoping this is a good sign. He has tried to nibble a tiny amount of hay, but hasn't passed any poos at all today. I will be taking him to my vet in the morning but was hoping somone might be able to suggest anything else that I could try for him until then.

Thanks a million

Ellen

Personally I feel he needs to see a vet TONIGHT!

Any bun that has not passed droppings all day requires vet attention, an 8wk old bun has a terribly immature immune system and mucoid enteritis or a bacterial infection is always a possibility.
Rabbits suffer from dehydration severely when their tummies stop moving. Oral fluids just won't cut it i'm afraid. He needs sub-cut or possibly putting on an IV drip to rehydrate his little body but most importantly his guts. Stronger pain killer in the form of vetergesic may also be needed, bloat is extremely painful. He may also have an obstruction which only a vet can diagnose. :wave:
ETA just seen you're in Fareham - which vet are you registered with?

Vets Now are 24hr and based in Portsmouth Harbour Clinic, you may not always get someone rabbit savy but they should examine and give bun fluids or admit him if necessary as there will be a vet and nurse on site all night long. (My vets are in Fareham and use the Vets Now out of hours - we've been there several times after midnight - they've always been good enough)

Last edited:
Hi everyone

Just a quickie to let you know that the little guy is still with us this morning. We've been to the vets and they were pleased with what I'd managed to do for him so far. They've given him some subcut fluids and also given me some zantac to see if we can get his guts moving. I'm carrying on with the fibreplex and also have some oxbow for him. He has tried a tentative nibble on some hay (I only use West Wales Willow hay, so know it's good quality). The vet has said to carry on with the gentle tummy rubs too as he thinks this has helped. His tum is less swollen this morning, so the focus now is on getting him eating & pooping again.

All suggestions very gratefully received as this little guy definitely deserves better than he's had from life so far.

Hi Prettylupin - I use Fareham Creek Vets for all of my critters. My dutch doe had gut surgery there when she was 8 months old, and although she spent 10 days in hospital they pulled her through it and she's still going strong today. I'd recommend them to anyone as I know they make a real effort to keep up to date with their bunny knowledge.:D

Has he had any pain relief ?

If you have other Rabbits I'd keep him well quarantined.

If you do have other healthy adult Rabbits you could attempt to harvest some cecotrophs from one of them to add to the sick Rabbit's syringe feeds.

Bramble leaves, eg Blackberry Leaves would be useful to feed him.

He's been getting Metacam for pain relief, and I have been syringe feeding him the oxbow critical care. He has started munching some grass this afternoon, and his eyes look a bit brighter so fingers crossed he keeps going in the right direction.

Many thanks for the tip on the bramble leaves, I'll grab a bunch when I'm out with the dogs.

Great news, after 2 days of syringe feeding, tummy rubs and zantac he's pooped !! :D:D:D

I know it could still go wrong, especially considering his age, but this is a major step forward for him :D

Back