• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Gotta make a decision about Grim. U/D Been to the vets and and some news about Smoo

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
I thought his eating was slowing down. He's on pain killers twice a day as he stopped breathing under GA when he had his last dental. My vet didn't want to do another GA unless necessary. Well he was progressively eating less and less over the last ten days so I planned to take him to the vets tomorrow to discuss having a dental. And just now he scofffed a whole plate of food!

He's such a little fighter, I think he's hiding any pain he's in. Not sure what to do now. :?

I'm taking him in tomorrow anyway. I think I'm leaning towards having the operation now... I know it's a risk, but I want Grim to be happy and pain free. :cry:

Last edited:
I agree with Donna. I think if that were my bunny I would go for the operation because its better to die pain free and under a GA rather than suffer and die in a lot of pain from the teeth.

Also, you will know you have absolutely done the best for him, which is all anyone can do.

Good luck for tomorrow.

Sending vibes - you know Grim best, so I'd follow your instinct unless the vet strongly advises otherwise. He's such a special boy. :love:

It's always better for a Dental Bun to have a GA/Dental BEFORE they stop eating.

Last week Little Bill had to have a GA/Dental, in his previous one 6 months ago he stopped breathing THREE TIMES :shock: :cry: But he was fine with this one, although it did take 4 days for him to eat for himself.

If the worst were to happen then Grim would no nothing about it. I always try to remember that. But as I said, getting it done before he stops eating would be what I'd want to try to do.

I hope all goes well for him xx

Thanks. :)

I know I've made the decision already... I just sort of needed to say it out loud... or type it out loud. I know he's telling me it's time. I trust me vet to look after him too.

i think i agree with you... its best to try and get him better rather than the worst happen and you think to yourself "i should have tried..." at least you will know if he passes away on the table that you did everything you could..
good luck with the op:)

aww this must be so difficult for you but you are making the right decision. I hope all goes well!

I hope everything goes well with Grim. It's so hard having to make these kind of decisions but I am sure you have made the right one, it's never easy to read a dental bunny is it, you think you've made a decision and then they munch like nothing is wrong, so confusing!!

Thanks for the replies everyone. It really means a lot having you all to talk to!

We went this evening and Grim had his teeth checked. My vet said he's started to get a small ulcer on his tongue and she can see the teeth rubbing on the cheeks although they are not ulcerated yet. They're also very long in places. She agrees with me it's safer and better to get it done now while he's still eating and 'well'. He's booked in for a week on Wednesday, although if he stops eating sooner he can come in as an emergency.

I also had Smoo checked as I could feel a small lump on the left side of her stomach. We're not sure what it is but there are three options. 1. Have it removed. 2. Have a sample taken and sent off for tests 3. Wait and monitor it. I went for option 3. I'm going to check it very week to see if it's growing at all and if it does grow I will immediately get it removed. If it doesn't grow I will get a sample taken, because there is also the possibility it's an inflamed insect bite and may go down. I don't want to cause her any unnecessary stress.

She also possibly had mites as she was a little scabby. She had one lot of xeno about ten days ago and it's gone down really well. I was advised to give her another lot in three days. Poor Smoo, she's usually so healthy.

:?

Good luck for Grim's dental :)

I wonder if Smoo's mites and the lump are related because often a bunny will get mites when they are run down.

Sending more vibes for Grim and Smoo. Hope Smoo's treatment helps her, and we'll all be thinking of Grim as the dental apporoaches. :wave:

I keep being paranoid that both of them have myxi...

Smoo seems happier than normal though. She's been running around like crazy. I hope it's nothing serious.

I keep being paranoid that both of them have myxi...

Smoo seems happier than normal though. She's been running around like crazy. I hope it's nothing serious.

Is their myxi in your area? Did the vet say anything about this?

Back