• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Where are you in your rabbits social structure?

Bunny Mum2b

Warren Scout
I was just wondering how humans are viewed within the rabbit social structure?

I've never had rabbits before only cats and dogs. I know my place with my kitty, as an inferior servant who she is benevolent enough to spend time with! :lol: My experience of dogs is that it is very important that the dog knows that the human in its life is the 'pack leader'.

I was wondering how rabbits react to humans? Are we part of their social structure or are we outside it? If we are part of their social structure is it important to be considered the alpha bunny or does it not really matter where we rank?

(Not that I think I could get alpha bunny status with my bunny - I'm not sure what size or animal he thinks he is, but its not the cutest littlest rabbit in the world that he is :love:. I swear if he would try to fight/face down any creature of any size (lions, tigers, bears, etc.) he would just spin round, nut them and stare at them with his 'come and have a go if you think your hard enough' face)

Im just the giver of food :lol:

other than that, i have found that some of my rabbits are submisive to me , others dominant.

I'm just the bringer of food, nose rubs and cleaner :lol: I don't think outside of that I really figure in their little minds :lol:

Helen xx

I vary with mine too. Some see me as boss, others see me as groomer :lol:

I think where you are and if its important depends on the bunny.

I'm pretty sure the the litter tray has more status than me, esp. with Pudding, she is definitely ruler in this house!

I think mine probably take me or leave me:roll: Aslong as someone puts food in their dishes they couldnt care less, Charlie quite likes to interfere if im doing anything in the garden and likes a nose rub, but Jess still cant stand me :lol:

I am ignored unless the buns think I might have food :roll::lol:
I'm definitely not the boss with them

I know what you mean about cats too! They are definitely superior. I have a kitten at the moment who seems to like me but I'm sure he'll grow out of it soon when he learns how to be a proper cat... :lol:

I think with Gabriella, I am well and truly bonded with her. She lays next to me, follows me around and pesters me for nose rubs when I am cleaning her shed out. She has licked me a couple of times.

With Wispa, I am bringer of food, nose rubs..

I haven't had Sophie for long, and is still very nervous with me, I think she sees me as bringer of food. And I haven't really managed nose rubs with her yet, other then with her puppet. lol
But she free ranges in the garden and when I want her to go back into her hutch, I will stand at her hutch, and she will jump in :)

My bunnies binky when they see me and it melts my heart everytime. Both of mine come for nose rubs and fuss particularly Honey. She is 14 months now and was a grunter and lunger initally. She mellowed a little but when she had a bout of statsis in June and I thought I was going to lose her. I brought her in during the night and had her laying on me and then next to me on the bed all night being stroked. Luckily she pulled through and she is a changed bun. She loves her fuss and nose rubs and always runs to me.:love::love::love:

i think we are....
loved at food / treat time /cheek rub:roll:
hated at nail clipping/ health check /vet trip time:(
and tolerated the rest of the time:lol:

The social structure goes like so: Adam, Pie, me. :roll:
She will binky up to me but only lick and groom Adam. She just 'loves' him more. :lol:

My mum is definately alpha bun! :lol: If I hold them, Pickles bites me and Ginger wriggles. With Granny it's all cuddles! :roll:

They do love me though. I don't think they're dominant over me, but like norty toddlers, they like to push it!

Mine do love to give me cuddles and nose rubs but I can't forget my place as bunny slave. They are just benevolent masters :roll::lol:

i'm that person that brings food :roll: they will run up to the mesh to see me, unless they realise it's getting dark in which case the run away from me because they dont want to go inside :lol:
and people think rabbits are dumb :roll:

Back