• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

trio bonding advice

bunny mad lisa

Mama Doe
hi
i have a very sweet natured lionhead and i am going to bond him with a baby bunny that i am rescuing. i was also considering taking her sister as well but was wondering if this would cause any bonding problems as the girls started to mature as obviously i won't be able to get them spayed for a few months when they are old enough. I wondered if they might gang up on him!!
would be nice to keep the girls together though but would rather just take 1 if it might cause problems.
any advice?

There is every possibility that if they bond now, they may not stay bonded when hormones are fully in play. You may find you end up with three single bunnies and they may not be rebondable after spays. I would only do a trio with an adult with hormones (if they were unspayable, or not yet spayed) to avoid the teen stage because with an adult you know more where you are with them.

I think this would be a huge risk, personally, although if you are able to have them all separate if needed then it could be nice if they do rebond back together.

The same risk still applies if you get one baby, in that the hormones may cause fights in due course so they may need to be separated until after she is spayed and then attempt to rebond.

this is what i was thinking, so maybe just the 1 bun is best like i thought. I would have room to seperate them if needed but as my bunny is so layed back i hope that there will be no problems and i will get her spayed as soon as she is old enough.

That sounds like a good plan. If the sister is meant to come to yours she will be there in due course after spaying :)

Its unlikely to be your bunny that is the problem. If the girl gets hormones that make her territorial she may fight him to try and drive him out. With babies there is no knowing what will happen to them when hormones arrive in full force. Hopefully though that won't be an issue and they will be and stayed loved up :)

Back