• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

rabbit losing wieght / update shes not good / admitted / shes coming home. yippee

angieb

Mama Doe
i havent really been on here for a while and feel a bit cheeky asking :oops: but i could do with a bit of advice. :?

i had miffy speyed back in feb and since then bonded her with another girl and a boy.
she has never stopped eating and is behaving normally. apart from about a month ago and i thought she was a bit sluggish but seem to perk up and i put it down to her just being active overnight????
anyway i suddenly thought she seemed to have lost wieght so i took her to the vets and he examined her and thought she was very lean but not skinny! (i think she is but he said he has seen worse) she has never been this thin.
he wieghed her and compared her to the wieght she was when she was speyed and she has lost 1/2 kg. she was 2kg and now is 1 1//2. at 2kg they said she was slightly overwieght.
since i bonded them they have lots more room, therefore have more exercise.
tonight when i have gone out to check on them she seems a bit damp down the back end but not with poo. i have cleaned all there kennels/runs out as she might of sat in some wee because since they were all bonded the toilet training has gone out the window! ( i blame the boy!:) )
i think the vet thought i was mad but i think shes too skinny. i have to take her back to see the nurse on tues to get wieghd again to see if shes lost anymore wieght.
the vet gave her a 9 day course of pancur after i mentioned ec (after reading alot on here) but he seemed to think she would show more signs.
he gave her a good check over ect. but seemed to think she was fine.
does anyone have any ideas on what could be wrong?? i keep watching her and she does seem fine. she drinks alot but always has done. :?

Last edited:
Losing weight is a bit of a miscellaneous symptom. What diagnositics have you had done? Blood tests? Have her teeth been checked? X-rays?

Personally I would consider finding a more Bunny Savvy Vet :?

A 9 day course of Panacur will be of no use, the course needs to be at least 28 days if EC is a possibility.

Is she being bullied at all ? Where is she in the hierarchy ? Is she actually getting her fair share of the food ?

What checks did the Vet carry out when you expressed concerns about Miffy's weightloss ?

upto now just the course of pancur.
she is going on tuesday to see the nurse to get wieghed again. it will be 2 weeks since shes seen the vet. i am not sure 2 weeks is long enough to tell??
the vet said he wasnt overly worried about her??
since feb till now shes lost 1/2kg. i think shes too thin but she is a smaller build to the other 2 and she was classed as overwieght!
i am hopeing i am worrying over nothing other than she is now geting more exercise. :?
he checked her teeth and said they were fine from what he could see.
she is still eating hay and everything i give her!

Personally I would consider finding a more Bunny Savvy Vet :?

A 9 day course of Panacur will be of no use, the course needs to be at least 28 days if EC is a possibility.

Is she being bullied at all ? Where is she in the hierarchy ? Is she actually getting her fair share of the food ?

What checks did the Vet carry out when you expressed concerns about Miffy's weightloss ?

he listened to her heart, tummy checked her over, checked her teeth and wasnt worried.
i think he gave her pancur to make me feel better as i mentioned ec, but he said he didnt think so as she would prob show more signs other than losing wieght.
i havent noticed any bullying.
she is at the bottom of the hierarchy but they have seperate bowls and i make sure they do cause as there eating i clean the runs/ kennels out.
i watched her tonight and as always after she finished her pellets she ate some fresh hay so she has the appitite. :?

what are the symptoms of EC?
could it be EC?
i am sat here racking my brain on what to say on tuesday.
i think they are rabbit savvy and have been good in the past.
is 2 weeks long enough to see if she has lost or gained more wieght? it doesnt seem very long to me???? :?

i must be phycic.......
last night there was no change really but overnight shes deteriated.:(
she has no energy and a snuffly nose. :(
she has had some apple tree branch but cant jump up onto the shelf to follow the other 2.
they are bing really good and sitting with her.
going to the vets now. :(

I suspect you sensed that subconsciously before realising consciously.

Good luck at the vets, I hope they can find the cause.

i hope she is ok, good luck at the vets.

Duke was ill with a bad tummy a while ago and we bought him inside for a few days, the warmth and just having us around seemed to help him loads, could you try that? (at the time we had two so brought them both in) :D

they kept her in....... :(
she has impacted bowl and her temp is down :(
they did warn me that she may not make it but fingers crossed. :cry:
they are giving her fluids and hopefully she might move something. :cry:

spoke to the vet and she is warming up slightly......
still hasnt poo'd
they have started the fluids.
they are sending the blood test away and should be back by dinner tomorrow.
i am so worried for her :cry:

thankyou for the replys and thoughts. :)
the vet just rang and said her temp has come back up. :)
he also said she hasnt poo'd yet but has a bit more gas in her tummy. :?
the blockage is quite bad so having more gas, does this mean its breaking up? :?
i think of these questions after i hang up and not on the spot.
i would rather know good or bad so if any one has any ideas please share them.
thanks in advance.

I'm sorry she is not too good, sending her lots of vibes. I had a bunny that had a blockage for a few days (not sure about gas) and she pulled through thankfully.

To be honest, there are mixed outcomes with blockages. I really hope she can pull through this, she is in the best place now and getting the fluids she requires to help break things up and hopefully get the blockage moving.

yes she's poo'd! :)
shes still quite poorly but has had her jumper taken off and is off the heat pad and has held her temp.
slightly better but still not eaten anything so they still shyringe feeding her and she still on the drip.
a bit more brighter but not hopping around yet.
all on the better side but still a long way to go i think. :?
i am just waiting for the vet to ring with the blood test results.

Back