• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Wound - Advice

Charlotte333

Warren Scout
My four rabbits were due to go to Fat Fluffs this afternoon for bonding. However when I was grooming them and getting them ready for their trip I discovered a wound on the right side of Holly’s neck:(:(

The wound is about 1.5 cm long and 0.75 wide. A scab has already formed and there feels like there is puss underneath the skin. The vet thought that it was a fairly new wound as there was still bruising showing. She said that the wound wasn’t a rabbit abscess as they are normally solid. The vet has prescribed Baytril x 1ml per day for 7 days. The vet has advised that I clean it with warm salted water each day. Holly is eating and pooing as normal.

I don’t understand what caused the wound. It is in an usual place for it to be bite wound inflicted by her partner Jasper and I can’t find anything sharp in hutch or run. I’m also concerned that I didn’t notice the wound sooner as I check them daily and put them in their run each day.

I tried to take a photo but I couldn’t get a clear picture.

Any advice would be appreciated:):)

No. Holly had her VHD in April and Myxi in May. She was due to have her next Myxi vac in two weeks but I'll now have to wait until she is better.

Is it possible she caught it on something? Or maybe excessive scratching?

Also, is she on Metacam or another pain killer?

She is on metacam. I have check the hutch and run and I can't find anything sharp. I just hope it wasn't Jasper. I'll have to watch them very closely over the next few weeks and check that Jasper isn't being a bully.

Last edited:
Back