• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Annoyed at my vets! UD all good now. :)

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
I ran out of Loxicom, Grim's painkiller this morning. It was an error on my part that I didn't have enough, but I thought that's what the emergency vet was for? It is kind of an emergency because not only is he going to be in a lot of pain but he's not going to eat. So I rang them up and the vet was really off with me. She was saying that it's not an emergency and she shouldn't really let me come in to pick some more up. So I told her that if I didn't pick some more up she's have an emergency Monday morning. :censored:

And she's going to let me come up to the clinic at six because she's there anyway, but another vet might not have let me.

I know he's not just fallen and broken a leg or anything, but please tell me you agree that this is still an emergency.

Last edited:
If she's at the clinic anyway I don't see why she would have a problem? :?
Sounds like you did the right thing to me. Maybe the vet is just having an off day.

Our vets used to have a box outside the door they could leave meds in if the vets wasn't around. Not allowed to do that now, but as long as you are happy to be there when the are out for a call anyway they are fine. Mind you our emergency vets are the same vets as the normal ones so they tend to be more accomadating, because they usually know the person. We even drop off meds to old people or ones who are ill, if they really can't get to the surgey.

It is my normal vet practice but not my normal vet. I hate having to ring the emergency number, luckily only had to do it a few time. Poor Grims I couldn't leave him for 24hours with no pain relief!

One of the first things I learnt about rabbit care was that if your rabbit is not eating it is an emergency. I didn't know why at the time, but do now and surely any vet should know that a rabbit who is not eating can quickly become dangerously ill? :? Hope you get things sorted for Grim. :love:

I think the actual act is not an emergency, as you said, it was your mistake, and its not an emergency to need to administer a repeat prescription (if you look at it as black and white as that).

However, the consequences of being without medication would create an emergency so its common sense to provide some to you.

I can understand why she was off (because your error has interurpted her weekend for a preventable problem), however, she is providing the meds which is the important thing. Whilst I can see why she was off, I personally don't think it was professional of her and it wasn't apropriate to act like that with you. At worst someone (probably your normal vet) should have had a quiet word with you at some point to ensure it doesn't happen again. She did not act as she should have done.

At the end of the day though Grim is getting his meds, regardless of how she acted or your error, and that's the important thing, so just ignore the rest and focus on that :)

I went and picked up the medicine and she was really nice to me. I apologised lots too. :D

Back