• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Electric in sheds

unalakey

Mama Doe
Does anyone run a power supply to their bunny/guinea pig sheds? Due to having a re-arrange in my garden, the piggie playhouse will be being moved to the site where our old pond was, the power supply is still there (from the pond pump) and i wondered if i could have some sort of heater in the playhouse for winter, what sort of heater could i use that would be safe?

:wave: We have lights in ours and also a couple of tubular heaters (you can get them from Argos, screfix etc). They just take the edge of the temp and have a safety cut out.

Anything run at 12V will be bunny safe if chewed as not enough voltage to give a shock. We have lights in the hutch which run at 12V, as does the electric pet blanket if one of them gets poorly. 12V appliances can be easily run off a car battery or jump starter kit. :) Our hutch is actually indoors in the house so there is an adaptor behind the hutch converting it back to mains. But the lights are all within tiptoe bunny reach but safe and they never touch them anyway.
We do run our pond on a 12V though so the cables across the garden are safe.

It depends if your pond cable is running mains (240V) or is running at 12V - if the former you will need to ramp it down, unless there is no way the bunnies can get to the appliances or the cable. :wave:

I did up until a few months ago when my shed caught fire due to a dodgy plug socket. Never again now. It's a shame as I would love to put a heater in for the winter (we had -22oC last Winter), but I'm not willing to take the risk again.

I'll stick with plenty bedding!

I did up until a few months ago when my shed caught fire due to a dodgy plug socket. Never again now. It's a shame as I would love to put a heater in for the winter (we had -22oC last Winter), but I'm not willing to take the risk again.

I'll stick with plenty bedding!

:shock: Thats scary :shock: You've put me off now:? Think i may just stick to snugglesafes:)

I have lighting and heating in my sheds. I use the tubular heaters too.

I had a sparky come in and put the cables in for meso I know its all safe.

The electrics are already there, The box is where i already run my garden lights and the old pond pump, So it is safe as its been in about 4 years, i just thought as the piggy playhouse will be where the pond used to be and the power supply is already there i may as well make use of it:)

:shock: Thats scary :shock: You've put me off now:? Think i may just stick to snugglesafes:)

You'll probably be OK. Mine is an outbuilding rather than an actual shed, so the electric was put in by a qualified engineer when built. However I don't know if maybe some water got in or something.

Most people would probably be OK, I don't want to put you off!

Back