• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what should we do? house or flat?

which would be best for the pets?

• stay here for the garden and area

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • an ok area, 2 bed house with yard

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • 2-3 bed flat, free range, never going outside

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • 2-3 bed flat, free range, try and get a balcony

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
where we are living now is a nice area, one bed house, very small, only the one room downstairs, so in this one room is the front door and back door, little kitchen to the side, and a hall, and staircase.. it is very draughty alot of the time which nothing seems to help.. also the back doors lead into the garden which is small but perfect for the pets, half paved, half grass, nice wall round, bushes etc...

bisc and matt used to have the run of downstairs, including the hall and kitchen.. when we got the piggies though, they couldn't be trusted not to go in their cage so now buns can't go in the hall part... so have the lounge basically...

they are both respiratory bunnies, they can only go outside in nice weather, when it is warm.. so they don't get to go outside that much really.. but when they do they love it so much, they sprint round and binky, it clears matts nose, they eat grass, and the piggies go out in their run aswell and love it..

we are really overcrowded in this house, there is no space for anything.. there is one bedroom and the bathroom upstairs, that's it.. it's a badly done house aswell... but it's a nice area, and we are left alone to get on with things by the landlady....

we could get a bigger house in an ok area, two beds, but it would only ever have a yard, and the buns would get their own room, but would they use the stairs? :?

we could also get a 2-3 bedroom flat, they would have the whole flat to run around in, but obv no outside space.. but they don't go out that much anyway.. :?

i don't know what to do. we chose this house for them because the garden and area was perfect. but the draught is getting too much now, and we have no storage space at all.. so everything takes up the space anyway.. and i get scared when they are in the garden, and don't like supervising them on my own now, so make dan sit with me to guard them.. :oops:

i feel they would be safer inside, and would have their own room and more space.. but then seeing them when they do get to go in the garden, i don't know if they would suffer more health wise, whether they would miss it.. i don't know.. :?

so it's basically:

1 - stay here because of the garden and the area
2 - an ok area, 2 bed with a yard, hoping they would use the stairs..
3 - a 2-3 bedroom flat, free range of it all, but never get to go outside.
4 - a 2-3 bedroom flat, free range, and try and find one with a balcony (even though they couldn't run round, it would still be fresh air)

of course i have the piggies to think about aswell. they also only go out in nice weather. they love it.

what does everyone think would be best for the pets?

I personally voted option 3.

In the end we all need space to live and breath. If your content keeping your piggies/buns inside i'd stay in a flat. You never know, you might find a ground floor in a 4 in a block and maybe have a little garden aswell.

Even if you dont get a garden, you'll have more space for them cause all your clutter could be stored away in your new bedrooms out the way so in a visual and flooring sense to them it will seem massivly bigger and more open :p:p

I personally voted option 3.

In the end we all need space to live and breath. If your content keeping your piggies/buns inside i'd stay in a flat. You never know, you might find a ground floor in a 4 in a block and maybe have a little garden aswell.

Even if you dont get a garden, you'll have more space for them cause all your clutter could be stored away in your new bedrooms out the way so in a visual and flooring sense to them it will seem massivly bigger and more open :p:p

i'm not sure i am.. i know they would get fresh air through windows but the thought of them not going outside in the fresh air makes me feel a bit mean... :? and they love it so much... argh, i don't know what would be best! :roll:

I voted the house with the yard. I, personally, couldn't live without access to an outside area of my own, no matter how small it was. At least with a yard you can let the buns out when you want to, and you can plant pots with stuff for them to nibble on, etc. The house you are in sounds far too small for you now, and draughty, so I think the house is the way forward (if it were me :p)

I voted to stay where you are because i think you mentioned in another post that it's fine but needed some updating/repairs.

Personally, if it suited the animals and was fine in all other respects then i'd stay put rather than go through the hunt for a new place to accommodate the animals and the upheaval of a move.

From what i can gather, its extremely difficult to get rental places that are ok with animals.

i voted flat....

i really wanted a flat, i had visions of my pair sprinting about the corridor with us all on one level.. Ste wanted a house with a garden. i love the house tho :love:

I voted to stay where you are because i think you mentioned in another post that it's fine but needed some updating/repairs.

Personally, if it suited the animals and was fine in all other respects then i'd stay put rather than go through the hunt for a new place to accommodate the animals and the upheaval of a move.

From what i can gather, its extremely difficult to get rental places that are ok with animals.

they don't know about the pets :oops: which makes inspection day a very stressful time! :roll:

eta: i've done all the 'repairs' aswell. just got another set of curtains to get. there is so much old polyfilla round the door inside and out, and it's all cracked, and now the walls are cracking aswell, the carpet is away from the edges, the skirting boards don't fit... we can't tell the estate agents because they will want to come round or send someone and then that means moving the pets again.. it's such a hassle.. :(

Last edited:
do flats tend to get hotter in summer? i know this house gets way too hot, so wouldn't want to be stuck in a flat in the heat really... and i'm imagining it being all nice and sunny outside and them stuck indoors.. :(

if this house was well done, it would be fine for another couple of years.. but if we tried to fix it all it would cost so much money, and we would have to pay so they don't send people round..

my dads brilliant at all things diy, and even he said he wouldn't know where to start.. :(

there is damp aswell, all this black spotty mould.. :? and me and dan are always ill, especially during winter, the heating bills are high aswell because all the heat goes out... :roll:

i want to keep this garden though! :oops:

I know it's a personal question, but do you intend on buying or renting? Because, if you buy, flats are terrible to try to sell on, also, if you're buying, I'd wait til next year as the house prices will fall again I think! Over all, I'd say a house, flats do get over hot, but also they tend to have night storage heating which is difficult to control and expensive to run. I've lived in two flats and they've both been so hot in the summer, but freezing in the winter! But if you're dead set on a flat, maybe you could get one that has communal space and get a massive run? I know it's not the same as letting them run all over though. xxxxx

I know it's a personal question, but do you intend on buying or renting? Because, if you buy, flats are terrible to try to sell on, also, if you're buying, I'd wait til next year as the house prices will fall again I think! Over all, I'd say a house, flats do get over hot, but also they tend to have night storage heating which is difficult to control and expensive to run. I've lived in two flats and they've both been so hot in the summer, but freezing in the winter! But if you're dead set on a flat, maybe you could get one that has communal space and get a massive run? I know it's not the same as letting them run all over though. xxxxx

renting! until i win the lottery! :lol:

what i really want is a bungalow! :lol: all on one level and with a little garden. there is one for sale on my nans street and i want it!! not fair!! it would be so perfect aswell, and it has a little patio area and a grass area.

so if anyone would like to lend (give!) me about £130k, that would be great! :wave:

Just be careful if you rent a flat most of them do not allow pets of any kind. I asked when looking to rent and was told we couldn't even have hamsters let alone a bunny. We opted for a house.

Argh my fat fingers voted for the wrong option on my phone and it won't let me change it! I meant to vote for the last option but not the next-to-last instead. I have a flat with a balcony and it's big enough fir them to run around in.

we live in a town house with a communual garden. the other neighbours dont like us to let our lot onto the grass.so we go to friends and relatives for outdoor time... is this a possibility for you?

Argh my fat fingers voted for the wrong option on my phone and it won't let me change it! I meant to vote for the last option but not the next-to-last instead. I have a flat with a balcony and it's big enough fir them to run around in.

sounds nice. do you have any pics? (just being nosey! :oops:) :wave:

eta: pics of the balcony, not the whole flat! :lol:

A house definitely- having lived in both houses and flats- i hated living in flats- human beings need gardens too!!! I know for a fact being a nature lover, i could never live without a little bit of outdoors again and would never settle for it.

A garden means you can have a little outdoor oasis in the summer no matter how small. It's nice to be able to look outside when you have a house, onto the garden, you can't do that in a flat. Flat's feel like prisons to me. I hate them.

Hmm i think I've put that across enough- you may like. I also think it's better for the animals to have a house and garden in my experience.

My rabbits love to be outdoors even if they are indoor buns, i like to have them out now and again for fresh air and sunshine. Also i think it's great for having pots of herbs etc.

Good luck with your move whatever you decide :) xx

we live in a town house with a communual garden. the other neighbours dont like us to let our lot onto the grass.so we go to friends and relatives for outdoor time... is this a possibility for you?

my mum and dad have a huge garden but it's not safe. and they get alot of foxes in these days. they just walk through in the day :shock:

vet said bisc and matt can go outside to play in nice weather but need the option of coming in and out of the house as they want. respiratory wise, apparantly this is the best thing for them. i can't see them all being happy about being taken in the car or taxi alot though..

i'm going to ask my dad to have another look at the walls and skirting etc round the back doors and see if he thinks we could improve it. just don't want to start ripping things apart and finding more problems. the only thing i can think is to get the last pair of curtains up, re-do all the gaps with polyfilla and see if it's still as bad.

i'm trying to think of just getting through this one more winter, then summer is fine here, and try and save the next year to move somewhere else. because if we moved now we would have to borrow money again, it would be a rush to get in before winter. and we don't want to move around alot, so are looking for somewhere long term.. and the cost to keep moving aswell, it's not money we have... :?

i had an idea before, which was to build a run in the bedroom, a fold down one, and let the piggies have a run in there in the day for a bit, then when they are up there, the buns can go in the hall and kitchen again, just to have some more room.

i just can't tell the estate agents and landlady because they will want to come round and the place is a mess.. :oops: you can tell we have animals in here, so we would be kicked out.

i think i'm more for getting a flat with balcony, or a terrace with a yard, i don't think i could never let them outside again, they love it too much.

better get dad round here to have another look! he's on holiday at the minute with my mum though..

A house definitely- having lived in both houses and flats- i hated living in flats- human beings need gardens too!!! I know for a fact being a nature lover, i could never live without a little bit of outdoors again and would never settle for it.

A garden means you can have a little outdoor oasis in the summer no matter how small. It's nice to be able to look outside when you have a house, onto the garden, you can't do that in a flat. Flat's feel like prisons to me. I hate them.

Hmm i think I've put that across enough- you may like. I also think it's better for the animals to have a house and garden in my experience.

My rabbits love to be outdoors even if they are indoor buns, i like to have them out now and again for fresh air and sunshine. Also i think it's great for having pots of herbs etc.

Good luck with your move whatever you decide :) xx

i think i would feel like i was in a prison in a flat aswell so know what you mean. i don't go out much, only in the garden, so it's good for me to have aswell i guess..

just been watching vids of them outside and they look so happy. it's just so perfect this garden, and where the house is. it's quiet and safe. and matt especially loves being outside. bisc comes in and out of the house, but matt will stay out as long as possible. think it helps clear his nose. :)

least i can rule out the flat with no outside option now. :)

right, got accepted on two 2bed terraces! they not bothered about the pets being inside! :)

so that is an option now! and getting some money to move! :?

Back