• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

7 day old rabbit UD now 2 weeks 4 days advice please

lisa.41

Young Bun
hoping for some advice please as im worried about our 7 day old baby bunny, there was 2 but we noticed today 1 hadnt made it we had left them alone as they were buried very well by the mother, but we had noticed the movement levels seeming to slow down after increasing from the first few days, after carefullly lifting the fur it was obvious 1 had died several days ago but the other bunny was cuddled up to it, we removed the dead bunny
im now wondering if we should bring them inside but not sure if thats best and how to do itor is it ok for the bunny to be sleeping and quite still
i do have an indoor cage but the baby isnt in a nest box as we didnt no the mummy was pregnant its just in a nest in the corner of the sleeping area..

Last edited:
I'm definitely no expert on baby buns but doubt there are many others online at this time.

You can either bring mum and baby indoors to a room that is not too hot for mum if she's used to being outdoors, but warmer than outside, provided you can do it gently without disturbing her or baby too much and provide her with space to move around added on to the indoor cage as this will be too small for her to exercise in - perhaps a utility room or bunny safe room where you can leave the cage door permanently open so she can stretch her legs.

Or, leave them be, it's quite mild at the moment and is set to remain this way next week also. Plenty of hay for the hutch, a blanket over the top for night time and i've heard some people successfully tape a heat pad to the underside of the hutch (sleeping area) for added warmth. Just make sure the hutch is somewhere sheltered, keep the wind/rain off it and use plenty of bedding. Just check mum is still feeding the remaining kit, she will only do so once or twice a day (I think :?), you can see baby's tummy swollen like a ping pong ball if it's being fed. That's the limit of my knowledge i'm afraid. :oops: Good luck x

ETA lots of food and fresh hay for mum to eat as well should keep her nursing well :)

thankyou for repliying, the cage is undercover in a corner where wind and rain wont reach it, my indoor cage is about the same size as my tempory outdoor one they are in at the moment, she had daily exercise in the garden but hasnt been out this week as i didnt no if that was ok, will get her out in the morning.

I'm just aware that mums confined and under stress can sometimes mutilate their offspring due to frustration and stress. I know of a few earless buns in rescue where mum has been kept in cramped conditions. I would assume letting her out for a hop is in her best interests but can not confirm this. It would just be my instinct not to restrict her space.

Have found you this article - it is a reputable site :wave:
http://www.rabbit.org/care/babies.html#Are_They_Getting_Fed?

Last edited:
Keep mum's routine as normal as possible. She wil only feed the baby once a day, two at most, and it only takes about 5 mins. You need to check the nest every day to make sure that the other baby is ok. Is it being fed? Does it look like it swallowed a pingpong ball?

I would tape a snugglesafe underneath (i.e. to the ceiling below) if possible, but it sounds like there is a lot of fur so that's good, and at 7 days baby will have a lot of fur itself by now.

thankyou for the replys, ok ive been outside and picked the baby up carefully bringing lots of the fur with it, its absolutly gorgeous, quite alot of fur and a nice plump belly, wriggled quite a bit and squeeked, fussed mummy rabbit first, but when i put the baby back she was straight there checking it was ok so gave her some food and that chilled her out fine

She sounds like a very good mum. When you hold the baby (which you can do every day), you can get it used to being stroked and held and feeling comfortable and safe with people. You can also stroke and relax mum too so that she is comfortable with you holding the baby (which it sounds like she is).

This is so cute :) I wish Thumper had a wifey so they could have lots of babies :D Good luck! Sounds like your rabbit is a good mummy :)

This is so cute :) I wish Thumper had a wifey so they could have lots of babies :D Good luck! Sounds like your rabbit is a good mummy :)

Despite baby rabbits being very cute there are a lot of stressful and often negative things about breeding (such as losing the mum and/or babies, and thats just for starters).

Its far better for the rabbits to be spayed/neutered and then bonded and be allowed to live happily :)

Cute yes :D But definitely not needed. There are over 33,000 buns sitting in rescues waiting for a home in the UK alone :cry:

Thumper will be much happier bonded with a spayed girlie for a lovely long-term bond :love:

Lol I wasn't suggesting breeding him, It'd just be cute :) I'm not irresponsible as I no about the thousands of unwanted rabbits in rescue centres :)

Breeding for the thought of it is a very very unwise decision. He's going to be neuters in 2 months or less :)

Last edited:
I would love to see a pic of your baby bunny though. I've never had a bunny from a baby (since I was a kid), but I love looking at pics :)

When we went to pick Badge up from the Rescue there was a trio of babies, I cried when I held them, they were so precious and pure, cor I'm welling up again now!

our mum and dad bunnies are about 2 years old, we took them in a year ago when their owner decided they didnt have time for them anymore after having a baby, they had already had of litter of 8 babies together 6 surviving due to the pet shop getting the sex wrong.

we keep the bunnies in 2 seperate cages but built a large run that is divided in 2 so they can be together but seperated by wire, this worked well as they loved running up and down together and lying side by side, oh and kissing through the wire, but 1 day last month ;) i came back out to see the female had dug through and was just going into his side or so i thought obviously it turned out shed already been in and back out.

i would like them to be able to be together as they love each very much, can i have just the female done or does it have to be both, my question is simply because of cost, please dont think have a go about that as im doing my best my them its just a very difficult time at the moment, also am i right to think its about £40

sorry to say it but for my girls it was £100 each....:roll:
this is quite expensive and i think the average is about £80.

i would like them to be able to be together as they love each very much, can i have just the female done or does it have to be both, my question is simply because of cost, please dont think have a go about that as im doing my best my them its just a very difficult time at the moment, also am i right to think its about £40

Where do you live, I paid £15 to have my boy neutered.

im in nottinghamshire, had to take our girl to the vets a few months ago as she stopped eating and pooing that cost me £130 in total 3 visits, not sure if i got ripped off but couldnt not help her

Back