• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Unsure on what to do :/

LauryStevens

Mama Doe
A few people have said about getting Thumper a companion for winter. I've tried on two occasions introducing a young female rabbit to Thumper and they didn't get on. Thumper is such a chicken :lol:

He is only 4 months old and my vet wont snip him till he is 6 months old, they said they couldn't anyway because his bits haven't come through yet :/

I also don't really want a rabbit it my house/room yet. It's an unsettled decision so I'm sticking to my instinct and leaving him alone outside. The fact he hasn't been snipped worries me that he may spray and chew furniture in the room.

So I'm not quite sure what to do. So far this is what I have. Thumper stays alone ATLEAST until he has had the snip, prefurably introduce a female in Spring. Leave him outside and just make sure he gets plenty of company. Get him the snip as soon as he is 6 months old.

What would you guys do? :/ I'm not sure if I'm making the best decision, but at the same time I feel it is all I can do :( #

HELP!

Aw it must be lonely for him outside, when the winter sets in you won't want to spend as much time out there with him, can you bring him in for a week or so and see how you get on?

Hi :wave:

What does he live in? Does he have plenty of shelter, warmth for the winter? the main thing is he is kept warm - yes he will be lonely but until hes neutered its wise not to bond him. It is best to bond him to a spayed female when you are ready.
Have you heard of snugglesafes - they are little heat pads you can put in his hutch - does he have a teddy he could snuggle to?

If you're still spending time with him then I see no reason why he can't be outside. Give him lots of hay and cover the hutch at night if he's out in the open. I use a fleece blanket when it's really cold and a plastic sheet over that. And you can also get snuggle safe heat pads.

My first bun Lopsie was on his own and an outside bun. I just went out and spent time with him in the cold when it was winter. He loved the freedom of the garden so I was happy to do it. They grow nice thick coats when they're outside.

I have a plastic sheet over the hutch and a hutch cover on top of that. The hutch is only 4ft long and 2 tier but he is small at the moment. I'll be getting a bigger one during Christmas (SALES :D)

He seems REALLY content on his own though I dont doubt he'd like some company. He's getting used to me still be he comes when I call his name (usually because there is a dandilion leaf waiting for him in my hands :lol:)

I'm out there every morning to open up the hutch, give him fresh food, a stroke and depending on if I have work I spend some time with him in the morning. I always see him after work at the start of the evening, refill his food ball with a small amount again, check the hay and water bottle again etc. Have a little play by getting him used to me so training him if you like. He's always running around my feet and is always having a sniff when I'm down at his level.

Spending time with him in the winter is no problem at all. I personally prefer the winter months to summer months. So It'd be quite plesent I think :)

I just don't want to do wrong by him but I've also got to think realistically. I'd love to have him indoors but it isn't practical until I've given it PLENTY of thought and until he is neutered.

Don't get me wrong, rabbits in pairs are amazing. I'm sure if you do get him a friend you will wonder why you never did it sooner and he will love it. But it is unpractical until he's neutered.

I'd give him a chance in the house. We've had both 6 month old and 3 year old entire bucks in the house neither chewed, destroyed or wee'd everywhere. Start him in a pen and gradually let him out for longer, supervised. Put him away at night with some treats and toys and loads of hay. It's worth a try :)

Don't worry too much lovely, my buns were single,outside buns and were fine. Just make sure he is kept warm, then consider a pal for him once he`s neutered. The last thing you need is bunny accidents!!:p

My concern with "trying him" in the house goes a bit further then spraying and chewing. If I bring him in and after a week it doesn't go well, he's going to be going back outside into a totally different temperature, with his winter coat half moulted off. I personally see that more destructive to him then just keeping him out this winter :/

I wish everyone had the same oppinion :lol: It'd make it easier for me lol.

He did have two companions in the past, sadly they turned out too young and with out enough gut bacteria and they both died in the space of 12 hours of each other :/ Preloved pets "rabbits" we shall keep for another discussion lol! Never again, so it is rescued bunnies from now on once Thumper is fixed.

Also as for the microwave heat pads for pet rabbits, I'm not totally bought by them. Something doesn't seem study about them despite the reviews I read. Just something wont let me be convinced, not sure what :?

I was thinking more of a rabbit bed/baskets that is very well sheltered to keep the heat in while he sleeps. Saying that though I don't no if he'll use either. At this present time he prefers to sleep out on the "landing" of his hutch and watch the world go by when he hears a noise. I suppose it isn't really winter yet though is it lol.

The trying him in the house wouldn't infact take more than a couple of days, which I don't see as destructive to his health at all, as the weather hasn't turned yet. You'll need to keep him inside for at least a night when he has his op anyway. Unless you're going to wait until may, it would be the same scenario. Just thinking of your boy. I know our house buns get lots of company, background noise. Free range time and still get lonely and bored when they're shut away. Hope you figure something out :)

Fair point :) I'll think about it, there are the parents to consider too. Not too sure they'll be best pleased I have to admit lol. So if I did he'd be confined to my room :/

Fair point :) I'll think about it, there are the parents to consider too. Not too sure they'll be best pleased I have to admit lol. So if I did he'd be confined to my room :/

My buns are in my room (and confined to it too). We have indoor dogs, so it is the only place they can go atm. Plus it is better than a 4ft hutch.

Just personally (and I am not trying to have a dig at you etc), I think that having one outdoor rabbit by himself for all of winter is bordering on cruel. Think of it like living by yourself, restricted to a hutch in the cold weather. I for one hate living by myself - I am very much a social person, and I hate being restricted too. Don't much fancy the cold weather, as there is little you can do outdoors tho I love the warm house.

Please don't take the above, the wrong way.

No I understand what you mean. Like I said in previous replies, I've tried introducing rabbit to him but he never likes them and they always have to be seperated (He doesn't attack them he just sees them as a threat, the others feed off of this and start chasing after him). He isn't neutered yet either.

I'm in the process at the moment of selling my aquarium in my room which should be gone withing a few days. It currently takes up the space at the end of my bed where Thumpers Neet Cube Cage would go. I still need to buy neet cubes and can't until I sell a few more things on eBay as I'm a little broke at the moment for a week :( If I don't sell anything he'll have to wait a week until pay day unless I can get hold of any money before then. I have laminate floor boards in my room too. Would you suggest putting a large carpeted rug down on the main floor of my room?

Pippin was on his own for a winter and was fine. We adopted him as a friend for Ruby, then sadly Ruby died before we could introduce them.
He had our large enclosure and built himself a hay nest! We then got Daisy-Boo for him in the spring and they are very happy now.

At the moment we have Kanika, our foster bun, who is also living alone in a 4 foot two tier hutch. She is safe, warm, dry and fed (and much loved actually!).

What I'm trying to say is that it isn't how your buns life is going to be forever, and I think it's absolutely fine to keep him as he is for now, until he's neutered. Maybe get a second opinion on the neutering as well, as some vets will neuter before 6 months. He will be much easier to bond when he's neutered.

Cheers, it is such a difficult possition to be in. I couldn't decide my self, what was and what wasn't practical. I hoped to clear my head with this thread but then I go one way then bounce back to a different way. So I'm not entirely sure which to do at the moment :/ Decisions decisions!

Maybe I should make a poll? Haha:lol:

My male was neutered before six months. Have you checked whether rabbit savvy vets in Milton Keyes would neuter before then?

When he has been neutered, you will need to bring him in to recover from the surgery and that would be a good time to see if he would be suitable as a house rabbit. If not, I would get him a partner and bond him.

Well done for considering the options for him. Its difficult to know what the right decision is sometimes.

Although I no of a lot of vets in Milton Keynes area, I don't no any that specalise in rabbits :/ So it is a little tricky. The only vets I no which is the one my cats are registered at say they wouldn't like to do it before 6 months. My guess is to make sure everything is clear and visable to proceed with so there are no complications.

Now for a completely different opinion ;) ...

I would not bring him in the house, even for a couple of days at the moment. The weather is stunning today and must be about 21 degrees out there, we are due a huge cold snap soon and the change in weather is likely to be hard for even outside buns who will have to adapt quickly. I don't see this as a good time to bring him in for a trial.

I would leave him outside on his own, but I would bring him in every evening and get him used to having some fun inside time with you. So long as you give him a good few hours company a night, he will be fine for the space of 2 months.

I would not suggest that you get him a companion until he is snipped. He might do depraved and debauched things to a poor little doe when his bits start to make an appearance :oops:

This is all part of a bigger plan; you are not deserting him or doing wrong by him, you are shaping him to be a very very happy bunny with no boy bits, a lovely wifey bun and lots of inside time with Mummy when you can :)

Just my opinion ;)

Also as for the microwave heat pads for pet rabbits, I'm not totally bought by them. Something doesn't seem study about them despite the reviews I read. Just something wont let me be convinced, not sure what :?

I was thinking more of a rabbit bed/baskets that is very well sheltered to keep the heat in while he sleeps. Saying that though I don't no if he'll use either. At this present time he prefers to sleep out on the "landing" of his hutch and watch the world go by when he hears a noise. I suppose it isn't really winter yet though is it lol.

The snugglesafe heat pads are fine :) I use them and have never had a problem, they do keep warm a long time. Over winter I fill their bedroom area completely to the top with hay, and they kind of burrow into it and sleep in there :) Also I have a thermal cover for their hutch which helps keep heat in, you can get these from the hutch cover man on ebay. He makes them to fit any hutch, and they are also waterproof and keep out the wind

Back