• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poorly Teeth-Advise Urgently Needed Please

Janey

Warren Veteran
I apologise in advance for the long thread.

Today I took Poppy to the vet, she has been scratching a lot and I persumed she had mites.

I couldn't see my normal very rabbit savvy vet. The vet I saw didn't seem v.confident at all, she could brely look at Poppy's teeth at all and I have been told before Poppy is a very calm rabbit. Anyway, she explained the mites she suspects Poppy has are caused when a rabbit becomes run down (they normally tolerate them without probs). When looking in Poppy's mouth we noticed one of her bottom incisors is broken and the other one is pussy looking. Poppy had her spurs done at the back about 8 weeks ago by the rabbit savvy vet and he didn't mention any probs with her incisors at all. She has been put on penicillin and I have biolapis for her aswell, I've been told to go back in 10 days and see the rabbit savvy vet.

However, I'm concerned that more should be done now, what do others think? I am concerned she is in pain although she hasn't shown any (I completely didn't think to ask about pain relief). Should the incisors not be taken out? If one has broken and the other is infected should all four not be removed? I can't imagine there is not a reason for all her sudden problems and am concerned an abcess has formed/is forming. Also I am concerned about giving her the biolapis, how is it normally done? I have been told to give her a sachet a day in two doses, however, she barely drinks and shares her water with Peter who drinks a lot. I have mixed the sachet in 50mls of water and tried squirting 25mls into her mouth this morn, however, there was so much most of it went all over my Mum (who was holding her). Does she need the whole lot?

Sorry again for the long post, I'm just so concerned and didn't want to miss anything. Any advice is so so appreciated.

Thanks, Jane.

Hi Jane

I think if I were you I wouldn't wait for 10 days before going back to the vet. I would ring up as soon as possible and get an appointment with your rabbit savvy vet.

I am sure someone more knowledgeable will be along before too long.

I would worry about an abscess as it could spread into the jaw. Ring up and ask if you can speak with the rabbit savvy vet over the phone first.

Is she having penicillin injections?

If they can clear the infection and burr the teeth down they might grow back fine, which is better than loosing them. However, the infection might cause them to grow at a weird angle, in which case they should come out as soon as possible so the infection underneath can be cleaned out as well as having the penicillin. If it doesn't clear up they might want to do x - rays to see how deep it is.

But stage one would be the antibiotics which you said she's on to see if it can be cleared that way before anything more drastic.

I don't always look at the health section but I have a lot of experience with this as Grim had his incisors removed and had abscesses underneath in the jaw. So feel free to PM me any time if you want help or advice or just someone to rant to. :)

OK, thank you so much for the advice.

Yes, she is on penicillin every other day starting today. I think what I will probably do is see how she goes and then ring and speak to the rabbit savvy vet on Monday when he is back in just to make sure he agrees with what has been done so far!!

Does anyone have any ideas about the biolapis? 25mls seems so much to syringe into her moutha t one time.

Thanks Jenova, I may PM you for advice in the future, it is so stressful. I was just thinking the other day how few problems she has had with her teeth-that'll teach me to be positive!!

Back