• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit ill after neuter? U/D been to the vets :(

.x.Rach.x.

Alpha Buck
Lewis was neutered on Weds, and he seemed fine apart from a bit tired. Since then, he's only been eating fresh greens and hay... leaving his pellets. It was his check up today and the vet was suprised at how good his wound looked, and said he looked totally fine and it was up to me whether or not to take him for another check in a few weeks. Since getting home with him today he's been really tired and not really moved all day, he's also been doing the odd sneeze :( He's also done a few strange poops, not diarrohea though (spelling?) :/ Also noticed that he isn't drinking, although I've been giving him water on his fresh food and feeding him stuff like cucumber. I'm quite worried, is it just usual after an op for buns to be like this? He also REFUSED a Fenugreek crunchie earlier :shock:

Last edited:
Lewis was neutered on Weds, and he seemed fine apart from a bit tired. Since then, he's only been eating fresh greens and hay... leaving his pellets. It was his check up today and the vet was suprised at how good his wound looked, and said he looked totally fine and it was up to me whether or not to take him for another check in a few weeks. Since getting home with him today he's been really tired and not really moved all day, he's also been doing the odd sneeze :( He's also done a few strange poops, not diarrohea though (spelling?) :/ Also noticed that he isn't drinking, although I've been giving him water on his fresh food and feeding him stuff like cucumber. I'm quite worried, is it just usual after an op for buns to be like this? He also REFUSED a Fenugreek crunchie earlier :shock:

It's normal for the first 24 hours, and a day or two longer for girl buns only. I wonder if he had a touch of ileus post-neuter and the stress of the vet trip has tipped him over into a mild stasis. If he's getting a lot of grass/greens this may explain the lack of need to drink, they don't need a lot unless they are dehydrated. I'm wondering if his immune system is taking a bit of a battering at the moment... the sneezing and upset tum.... it all fits really. Is he eating and pooping now?

He seems to have perked up a min ago, he's eating a chunk of cucumber.... hopefully he'll be ok! :) I've been feeding him herbs inbetween his naps :) It was quite a long walk to and from the vets today, so maybe he's just been a bit stressed. But then again, he seemed fine when we got home :/ was pooping normally etc. It's only this afternoon he started to look a bit shattered and was refusing treats etc :/

He seems to have perked up a min ago, he's eating a chunk of cucumber.... hopefully he'll be ok! :) I've been feeding him herbs inbetween his naps :) It was quite a long walk to and from the vets today, so maybe he's just been a bit stressed. But then again, he seemed fine when we got home :/ was pooping normally etc. It's only this afternoon he started to look a bit shattered and was refusing treats etc :/

Okay well keep a very close eye on him and keep him eating as much as you can tonight. Leave out lots of fresh hay, pick him some grass if he's used to that - fibre is what he needs right now, fibre and fluids. Keep going with the herbs etc and make sure he is warm. Encouraging him to have a little hop around should help also. If he refuses food completely and/or his dropping stop completely then he will need to see a vet urgently. I'm hopeful this is just a temporary setback after the stress today and his recent neuter.

Okay well keep a very close eye on him and keep him eating as much as you can tonight. Leave out lots of fresh hay, pick him some grass if he's used to that - fibre is what he needs right now, fibre and fluids. Keep going with the herbs etc and make sure he is warm. Encouraging him to have a little hop around should help also. If he refuses food completely and/or his dropping stop completely then he will need to see a vet urgently. I'm hopeful this is just a temporary setback after the stress today and his recent neuter.

Thanks for the advice :)

Yeah i'm keeping an eye on him (i'm in the room with him), made sure he is warm, he's got loads of fleeces and the 2 radiators in this room are on full heat as I noticed he was cold earlier :( I haven't seen him poop since earlier, but he's chomping on some hay atm...

Thanks for the advice :)

Yeah i'm keeping an eye on him (i'm in the room with him), made sure he is warm, he's got loads of fleeces and the 2 radiators in this room are on full heat as I noticed he was cold earlier :( I haven't seen him poop since earlier, but he's chomping on some hay atm...

This is what you want... great stuff! Hay, hay and more hay. This will get him back on track like nothing else. If he eats grass regularly and you have a garden then do pick him some and some dandelions if you've got them as they will help too. I'm sure if he keeps at the hay the poops will come along soon. Good luck x

I gave him some raisens (his fave), he doesn't have many cause I kno they're high in sugar... but its encouraged to eat some pepper and carrot :) He still hasn't touched his pellets, I though he was just being choosey after his neuter until today :/ Just opened a new bag of hay, he was on the excel tomothy hay with dandelion in, I'm sure he just prefers basic meadow hay... he's just had a bit of that, now he looks sad and tired again, curled up on the floor :/

Yes as long as he keeps eating on and off throughout the evening and night then the poops will come. The GI tract is very long in a rabbit and it can take time to move through if things have slowed down or stopped and his tummy was empty. Just keep him eating - preferrably hay, but some wet greens will help as the water content (soak them and offer them wet) will hydrate the tract and help push the poops along. :):wave:

If he's not feeling 100% then he will tire quickly after a small meal, let him rest and then get him up and eating again in an hour :wave:

I've already done the water thing :) I gave him a load more greens in a saucer of water. I also read online that massaging the abdomen works, seemed to do the trick! He feels a lot less bloated. He's still dozey but eating/pooping. I've been feeding him fresh stuff inbetween his naps all day.

Would it have been the neuter/anesthetic that caused this? :/ I mentioned that he wasn't drinking or eating his pellets, only fresh stuff at the vets this morning and she didn't say anything really other than that fresh stuff is better for him anyway and he's prob getting moisture from it instead of drinking.

Thx for the advice :)

I think he's definately feeling better now! Just ran.. jumped on my knee, went straight up onto the table and did a poop next to my laptop!! :lol::censored:

He's also attempting an escape through the childgates! :lol:

I'm so glad he's picked up from earlier! :) :love:

I'm glad to hear he's perking up.

Ileus or stasis can occur from any number of things/triggers or a combination of several. Anaesthetics slow down the GI tract as does the opiate pain relief given post/pre operatively, but so does the stress and pain, especially if adequate pain relief not given, so it's a delicate balance. Some buns just don't bounce back so quickly and some buns need more pain relief and gut motility meds ongoing for a few days after the Op rather than just on the day, depends on bunny, vet techniques and a whole other host of factors. The main thing is that he is eating and passing droppings, nothing else matters as much as this. :)

Hey guys :wave:

He's eaten an eggcups worth of pellets and a fresh leaf this morning, plus hay :) He's also had a big drink when I held his bottle for him! But he still isn't himself, he's been lying in his cage all day, even though its been open :/ He was active last night though before I went to bed, and he also dug up his litter tray in the night :lol:

Hey guys :wave:

He's eaten an eggcups worth of pellets and a fresh leaf this morning, plus hay :) He's also had a big drink when I held his bottle for him! But he still isn't himself, he's been lying in his cage all day, even though its been open :/ He was active last night though before I went to bed, and he also dug up his litter tray in the night :lol:

How is he now? :wave:

Is he passing droppings normally yet?

I don't no much about neuters as I'm still waiting for Thumper to have his. But do you think it is possible that the neuter has cause this "laziness". You read about how dogs calm down and aren't as energetic after a neuter, perhaps a similar thing with your rabbit?:?

If he's still not back on form tomorrow i'd consider taking him back to the vet for a check up personally. Boy buns ideally should be back to normal from a castration within 48 hours. 72 max. I am still slightly worried he has an ongoing ileus and may need a course of gut motility medication. :wave:

Back