• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vhd?

VHD? To vaccinate or not?

• Total voters

Grin

Wise Old Thumper
Cylap Vs Lapinject?

My vet only does Cylap vaccs - should i move vets? Is it worth getting it done?

My vet does lapinject only nowadays, but previously they would order in lapinject if somebody requested it.

I don't think I'd move vets just over this issue if I was happy with them in other respects

I didnt actually ask if they would get lapinject in but i suppose i could ask. I'm reluctant to go to the other vets in the area after they told me vaccinations werent needed at all. :shock:

My vets only vaccinate with Cylap unless someone asks for Lapinject specifically. I'm happy with what we do with Cylap with my bunnies (all bunnies under 1.7kg have a half dose).

I think it comes down to personal choice. Definitely vaccinate unless there is a specific reason (such as the rabbit is not well enough) not to.

He'll def get vaccinated but i'm just wondering whether to insist on lapinject or just go ahead with cylap. He seems pretty healthy and there seems to be no other reason why he should experience a reaction. I'm not well known at the vets and dont want to kick up a stink but at the same time, if lapinject is overall better for them then i'd much prefer him to have that!

Asking them to order something else is not kicking up a stink, its just exercising your right as an owner to want the best for your animal.

Why not search the forum for cylap and lapinject and see what comes up. There are pros and cons to both, so its just whatever you feel is best.

Thanks Sky-O.

Tbh - i'd heard more horror stories about cylap and not heard about lapinject but i just read how they extract the lapinject vaccine and i dont like it.

Is cylap synthetic?

Muppet's first two VHD jabs were cylap and he was very subdued after both. The third one I asked my vets specifically to get lapinject in. They'd never heard of it (although they have many rabbit clients, they're not 'rabbit' vets as they freely admit themselves) and said they'd never had a customer report a bad reaction to cylap. They were quite happy to get lapinject in though.

Did muppet have a reaction at all to lapinject?

My vet said he's never seen a bad reaction to cylap and thats why they dont use anything else.

Thanks Sky-O.

Tbh - i'd heard more horror stories about cylap and not heard about lapinject but i just read how they extract the lapinject vaccine and i dont like it.

Is cylap synthetic?

I believe Cylap is the same to be honest.

my vets only use cylap aswell which i didn't want to use and after reading so much on here about it. so i asked about lapinject which they order for me and they said last time i was there that they are now thinking of changing to lapinject

Cylap according to my vet causes raised temp for 2 days in bunnies, whereas Lapinject may cause a little soreness at the puncture site.He uses Lapinject.Therefore, so do I!!:wave:

Spenser had a slight reaction to cylap (local soreness and generally a bit off colour for a day or so). I phoned the vets, who were reassuring but told me to bring him in if I remained concerned. I don't think I would move just over this issue, but I will mention his symptoms when he is next due for the vaccine.

To be completely honest, I have no idea which form of the VHD vaccine my vets use. When Charlee went in for hers we were only new to bunnies so I didn't know at the time that there were 2 different kinds. Noah came vaccinated so I don't know which one he had either. Both were fine tho.

I don't really know how to vote on this. Which is frustrating cos mine are due it. This new vac has me interested but I'd like it to have been used for a while before I try it with mine.

cylap here too. my vets will order the other if i want but tbh neither of mine have had a reaction to it other that being quiet for a day after

My vet uses Cylap and says he has never seen any side effects from using this. He is looking into Lapinject.

My rabbits will be due for their first VHD jab soon and I am very worried

Back