• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vet hygiene-- anyone else with concerns?

shebunkin

Warren Scout
Anyone else with concerns about your vet? What do you do?

All my rabbit knowledge, such as it is, comes from Rabbiting On, looking on the internet, and from this Forum since we got Ec and I started to search for answers I wasn’t getting from vet. We went to several different vets at our nearest practice and had mixed experiences. We have almost never been given routine care advice such as about diet, danger of gut stasis or anything like that. We’ve learned everything ourselves. One marvelled that ours were 7 and 9, saying they almost never saw one older than 4 or 5.

A lot of the things I had to suggest myself having read about here on the forum.
For example 3 days after good initial recovery from his first ever tooth rasp our 9 year old began dragging hindquarters. I knew there was something specific, but the vet said he was just a bit weak after anaesthetic. It was only after I kept asking questions that they thought of Ec, and gave Panacur, not with Metacam. Again, after I pushed, he was given Metacam.

Some of my concerns: On 3 occasions—different vets, the table has been visibly smeary and only partially cleaned, or has had visible hairs on it. On another occasion with this same vet, because of my previous experience—I screwed up my courage and asked her to wash her hands before she handled bunny. She was really offended-- she washed her hands and cleaned the table in a very patchy perfunctory way and told me tartly that rabbits ‘are not likely to pick things up’ then added ‘It’s all very clean and sterile here.’ She then went on to use a fluorescein strip in one eye (which happened to be the one which had been infected)—then before I realized what she was doing she used the same strip in his other eye.

It is very hard to think quickly enough at the time and not put people’s backs up— but I now take a piece of plastic in with me that I can cover the rabbit carrier with walking through the waiting room, and put on the examining table before they get the bunny out.

The eye infection started the day after a visit to the vet. When I mentioned this I was told—oh rabbits don’t pick things up—his immune system was probably a bit low. On other occasions when I have alerted them that his VHD is out of date (due to being too frail to inoculate him recently) and he might be vulnerable, I have been told by different vets that they don’t get see rabbits with VHD because they die so quickly. But vets MUST come into contact with the virus—which can persist on clothes and surfaces for months. Years ago we had to have our 10 year old rabbit put down with suspected VHD.
So I feel the whole hygiene culture at the practice is quite lax. Even the ophthalmologist had hairs on the table from the preceding animal--when I would have thought with all the stuff she was doing to his eye that hygiene was important. Another vet, when the Ec began, was about to put rabbit on the floor to check his mobility---(I luckily had a tarp with me that I quickly put down). Presumably with dogs walking in to the examining room many vets gets a bit casual about hygiene on floors and tables. But the only sick animals we know our rabbits are exposed to are at the vets. So why don’t they take hygiene on board?

We don’t feel we can change practices---I think we've found one vet at the practice who I trust more than the others, but the practice itself does not make me feel confident, particularly if we need an emergency op for our elderly rabbits. One of ours in particular hyperventilates and stresses so badly when he goes to vet, even with his mate, that we are always afraid he might just die of stress. So we feel we need to go to one very nearby-- with long open hours, one with a hospital and 24 hour monitoring available.

Anyone have similar experiences or advice? Shebunkin

There are usually stray hairs on the table at the vets we use too. But the table is always smeared as if it has just been wiped. I would assume that once disinfected the odd hair isn't going to cause an issue really.

The only thing that ever concerned me was one vet putting my bun on the floor to get him to run around to encourage his tummy to move - I wasn't too happy about that as the floor doesn't get disinfected between clients and god knows what dogs/owners walk in on their feet! :roll:

My vet is always scrupulously clean and cleans after handling the buns so would assume he would do the same with other patients.

ETA if you are ever concerned about the table - take a clean towel with you and lay that down on it. My very rabbit savy vet always lays the towel I bring down to stop my buns slipping around on the table. You can then take it home and wash it and be assured that bun was on a hygienic surface:):wave:

ETA if you are ever concerned about the table - take a clean towel with you and lay that down on it. My very rabbit savy vet always lays the towel I bring down to stop my buns slipping around on the table. You can then take it home and wash it and be assured that bun was on a hygienic surface:):wave:

that's a really good idea!

I've long had concerns about vet hygiene too. Mainly because vets use things like Virkon and Trigene, which doesn't kill EC spores.

My two are too big and boisterous to just get out on the table. I have always opened the carrier on the floor for them to hop out on their own and then picked them up. I feel it's safer this way. But you're right, the floor doesn't get disinfected.. :?

My vets have always freshly disinfected the table, washed hands etc between clients, including hoovering up hairs (they must take ages to clean up after my boys, cos they always moult so much when they're there)

They also have signs up in the reception of the branch which has the hospital saying how they use surgical masks etc in their operating theatres, and general notices about hygiene.

That's reassuring!!!

My vets have always freshly disinfected the table, washed hands etc between clients, including hoovering up hairs (they must take ages to clean up after my boys, cos they always moult so much when they're there)

They also have signs up in the reception of the branch which has the hospital saying how they use surgical masks etc in their operating theatres, and general notices about hygiene.

I'd feel a lot better if our vet was like that!!!
I'm not reassured by statements like 'oh rabbits don't usually pick things up' and 'it's probably his low immune system'-- after all if mine have an infection they must have got it somewhere!!! And the vet surgery is surely the place with the most sick animals! I didn't accuse them of giving our animals germs-- just tried to let them know the little old fellow is vulnerable to infection.
I don't want to burn bridges though so I have to be as tactful as I can. Asking that vet to wash her hands has made her cross!! Shebunkin

Back