• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vibes for Sinbad pleased

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
I don't often ask for vibes for our poorly bunnies anymore but Sinbad is such a special boy he needs all the help he can get.

Sinbad is a lymington bunny that has severe brain damage and kidney failure. Up until yesterday he was doing really well all things considered, but his neurological problems have suddenly really deteriorated. He no longer seems to be aware of where he is :( I can do nothing to comfort him as he completely freaks out, he used to be such a cuddle bun :cry: He is thankfully still eating once I show him where his food is but he is not a happy boy. I was hoping it was just an episode and he would come out of it but he still the same this morning :cry:

I have seen this happen in some of our other bunnies in the past, our beautiful Hugo included, and the outlook isn;t good :cry: We are going to watch him carefully over the weekend and then we will probably have to make a decision about his quality of life.

I know we shouldn't have favourites but it is so hard not to have a special place in my heart for Sinbad, He is a mixture of Hugo, Elwood and Timmy all rolled into one :love::love:

Thank you

He finished his 28 days of panacur a week ago. I am wondering if this was keeping things at bay :? if so would it hurt to put him back on it :? :?

Eek... don't know :? I should think if his life is critically in the balance then 'on balance' what have you got to lose? I do appreciate that ongoing use isn't meant to be great for them but I guess it's weighing up the advantages and disadvantages? Could there be something else going on? Infection?
Sorry am no help with neurological buns :oops:

Come on Sailor Lad :love:
Really hope he manages to pull through, maybe the panacure was helping...is there any chance it could be EC but without head tilt? I don't know if that is possible though :?

Come on Sailor Lad :love:
Really hope he manages to pull through, maybe the panacure was helping...is there any chance it could be EC but without head tilt? I don't know if that is possible though :?

He does have a slight head tilt and his kidneys are failing so EC is the likeliest possibility. He had a month of metacam/panacur but the course finished just over a week ago. I don't really want to continue with the metacam because of his kidneys, but wonder if continued panacur may give him a little longer :?

He does have a slight head tilt and his kidneys are failing so EC is the likeliest possibility. He had a month of metacam/panacur but the course finished just over a week ago. I don't really want to continue with the metacam because of his kidneys, but wonder if continued panacur may give him a little longer :?

I suspect the damage may already be done neurologically from the inflammation. One would hope 28 days would be enough to control the parasite. Could he have an anti-inflammatory alternative to the NSAID's? How about some diuretics to reduce the load on his kidneys?

Would steriods help, we 'controlled' Mustard's neurological problems due to toxo with steroids- prednisolone tablets. As far as I am aware it is the normal treatment, I just wonder if they would help because toxo and e.c are quite similar and caused by the same type of organisim- protozoans.

Blackberry - who is brain damaged and part blind/deaf due to EC at 8 weeks old - can be like this - usually he goes in phases and the being not with it and resisting human company happens in a phase when he also has fits -

we do tend to then use Panacur for a week just to hopefully ' damp down' things - it seems to work though I know it probably has no scientific basis.

When Oreo was poorly she had 2x 28 days of panacur, as after the first 28 days there was little improvement. I have on idea if it was the right thing for the vets to do, but it didn't do her any harm, quite the opposite infact as it wasn't until about week 6 she started to improve.

Thank you for all the vibes :D Sinbad is back with us :D:D He is much more responsive now although still a bit more confused than normal.

He improved so much on the panacur/metacam I really didn't expect him to deteriorate so quickly again. Before his episodes only seemed to last up to 30 minutes at the most, but this time it was 24 hours :(

I am talking to him non stop to try to keep him focused, the poor boy probably has a right headache now :oops::lol:

So pleased he is seeming a bit better. He is such a special boy, and you are certainly giving him the best of care. :love:

Back