• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

a bit worried...

Louise G

Warren Scout
My rabbit has been sprayed/neutered today and she seems ok but really lethargic. She has not eaten any hay or pellets and I only managed to tempt her with two rabbit treats (tiny drops) and one small piece of curly kale. She is normally a right fatty. Ive got her inside all snug in a large indoor cage with a towel over so she can rest and plenty of bedding. Just wondering if anyone has any advice? Thanks x

I wouldn't worry too much today, did she get painkillers and some to continue at home. If not I would call the vet tomorrow and ask for some. A few of my rabbits have taken a couple of days to get back to normal, and I usually prepare things they like and make it easy to easy to eat- dandelion, grated carrot, grated apple etc. I would also get a probiotic if you haven't been given one- I like fibreplex, but biolapis is good too as long as she is drinking.

My rabbit has been sprayed/neutered today and she seems ok but really lethargic. She has not eaten any hay or pellets and I only managed to tempt her with two rabbit treats (tiny drops) and one small piece of curly kale. She is normally a right fatty. Ive got her inside all snug in a large indoor cage with a towel over so she can rest and plenty of bedding. Just wondering if anyone has any advice? Thanks x

What time was she spayed today? This is not unusual in the first few hours of recovery. Was she given pain relief before you left? and were you sent home with any for tomorrow?
For now you just need to keep her warm and calm and quiet, keep tempting her with her favourite foods, some nice fresh herbs often go down well - parsley, thyme, coriander etc... but don't hassle her too much just make sure plenty is on offer regularly and is fresh, hand picked grass/dandelions if she likes these can really stimulate an appetite. Make sure she has a bowl of water as well as a bottle.

I would expect her to start nibbling in the night and certainly by tomorrow morning. If there are no droppings and no appetite by morning then she may need to see the vet first thing in the morning, but for now this does not sound unusual. She has had a big op and will be uncomfortable and groggy from the anaesthetic. I hope she feels better soon x

Thanks so much for all your advice. I really hope she will be okay. Im going to grate some carrot and pick some grass and other nice things to try and tempt her. Shes a mini lop but shes only tiny. At least shes comfortable in the house, she is used to it. Thanks, Louise

Back