• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dot's having emergency surgery for a blockage. UD she's gone

Bunny Buddy

Wise Old Thumper
Rushed her to the vets this afternoon with bloat symptoms.

X-ray confirmed loads of gas and everything points to a blockage :cry::cry:

She was very quiet when being examined, just as Izzy was when very poorly.

Her blood glucose level was 18.6 so not in the 20 - 25 range but Alison felt it would get higher if left. She said we are likely to have a dead rabbit in the morning if she doesn't try. It is of course very high risk :cry::cry: She said she would perform a laparoscopy (which I'm about to Google) but said she would open up the abdomen and take it from there - she won't open up the intestines unless absolutely necessary.

I always thought I'd say no don't do it - can conservative treatment be done first? but I can't risk doing nothing and she was clear it was very dangerous to leave her - so I've left it to the expert.

If anybody could spare any vibes we really could do with them :cry::cry:

I'm just expecting the worst because I'm in that frame of mind. Alison was hoping to start surgery at 6.30 after consulting so could be hearing from her any time.

Last edited:
Sending loads of vibes. Its good it is being done sooner rather than later, that gives her the best chance of recovery :) all fingers crossed here x

Loads of vibes for Dot. Have everything crossed that the surgery goes well and she is feeling better soon. x

Sending loads of vibes. Its good it is being done sooner rather than later, that gives her the best chance of recovery :) all fingers crossed here x

Thank you. I really didn't expect the vet to say surgery tonight. I'm so shocked but then that's why I rush bloaty bunnies to the vets - just in case they need emergency surgery.

Thanks for the vibes. It's just starting to sink in that I'll quite likely to lose her :cry::cry:

you are right to try..i have been in the same position and know how hard it is...sending lots of vibes and hope she can pull through xx

I'm so sorry :( I lost my little bun Fizz she had a blockage, she passed away before the operation :(
And her husbun was rushed in the day after, luckily I got him in very quick and he recovered .

Back