• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

advice-putting baby bunny outdoors

bunny mad lisa

Mama Doe
hi all
i am rescuing a baby bunny in a few weeks. At the moment she is being kept indoors in a cattery at the rescue were she is. She will be coming to me when she is 8 weeks. i want her to live outdoors with my male bunnywhen i bond them but am just a bit concerned about a sudden temperature change for her. She will going into a shed and so will be well sheltered and i will make a nice warm area for her with straw and snugglesafe. Its just the transition period? any advice?

I think its much too late to put a rabbit outside.

However, with lots of snuggle safes and warmth and such, the shed may possibly be warm enough for her to not suffer due to the cold.

I don't think there necessarily needs to be a transition unless at the centre she can go somewhere cool but inside, or at yours for a short while she can go into a cold room inside.

Would there be anyway she could stay inside until it gets warmer next year?

I've just bought my 7 week old baby bunnies indoors as I was worried about them getting cold, so thats not much help to you

the cattery is outdoors in a barn type building..i am going to ask them what the temperature is in there as not sure if the whole building is heated.
My boyfriend is alergic to bunnies...thats why they live outdoors. i keep bunnies inside if they are poorly but couldn't do it for the winter as that would be 5 to 6 months.

if its in a unheated barn the temperature wont be much more than a shed will it?
its not like its been in a house with centrel heating. its a tough call. X

I could be wrong but I thought if she's only just been born she won't have had time to grow her winter coat :wave: especially if she's been somewhere heated

i've just emailed them to find out about temperature.

I haven't had a baby bunny for some years and its always been in the warmer months. I figured that petshop bunnies are kept indoors and most of those must go outdoors....but of course i would never put her outdoors if it was a risk thats why i wanted some advice.

i've just emailed them to find out about temperature.

I haven't had a baby bunny for some years and its always been in the warmer months. I figured that petshop bunnies are kept indoors and most of those must go outdoors....but of course i would never put her outdoors if it was a risk thats why i wanted some advice.

I believe that Pets At Home advise their rabbits shouldn't go out until after winter, although there will be people who don't listen, staff who forget to say and other pet shops who may not do that.

I believe that Pets At Home advise their rabbits shouldn't go out until after winter, although there will be people who don't listen, staff who forget to say and other pet shops who may not do that.

I'm sure the one near me normally puts signs up saying this. I've never heard the staff actually say it to anyone though :roll:

oooh i've got myself worrying now as i have my heart set on this little girl:( but i would never put a bunny at risk. I know that she was born in a garage so if were she is now is unheated is this still safe or is winter too much for a baby bunny to be outside altogether?

its awful as it has taken me a while to adopt another bunny after my dear siouxsie died and i finely pluck up the courage only to cause myself worry:(
i am going to talk to the rescue and will have to decide what is best for the baby bunny.

Back