• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

guilty bunny mum needs advise! u/d its lice! and ive been ripped off!

hannah C

Alpha Buck
:cry:

i just went out to check steve over after his vhd injection yesterday and discovered mites! i thought it was specks of dirt but no they're moving :cry::cry:both he and jas are covered.....i always though i'd catch something like this quicky as he is a white bun and i tought id see them!. (very stupid of me i know)

phoned the vets, they're prescribing me something for them but i cant get it untill tomorrow:cry::cry::cry:

i ccant believe i missed this! even more so i cant believe my vet missed this just yesterday!

so i know i cant just treat the rabbits and im going to have treat everything but what is everything??? hutch, toys, littertray, floors????????????

and what with?

Last edited:
I remember my rabbits having some injections for it. I didn't do anything drastic in regards to cleaning as I was led to believe that the injection would do the job and it did. They never reaccurred or anything.

Helen xx

mmmmmmm,

the rabbits aren't going to the vets, shes prescribing me something to treat them with. i hope its not an injection. i couldn't do that i dont think.......

Relax, we've probably all been there. You need to put on a boil wash all fabric stuff after treatment and throw away any bedding e.g. woodshavings, hay etc.

My advice would also be to try and find the cause of the mites. When my 2 got mites I inspected their hay using a clear carrier bag, I put some in, shook it and saw mites in the corners or the bag. Needless to say I haven't bought that brand since and I've not had any problems.

i feel bad! there where a lot of them! :oops::oops:
i think its the hay.....or straw! i buy it from a guy who gets it from a farm.
poor rabbits! i must say ive not seen them scratching or shaking??

It will probably be ivermectin, it's a topical treatment for mites which goes on the back of the neck. Ask the vet when you go tomorrow.

As for the toys etc, a wash in animal-friendly disinfectant or even warm water and vinegar will do the trick. Wash any fabrics in a boil wash. You can use bleach but need to be extremely careful about rinsing it all off - not something you want bunny licking. Replace all hay and bedding as mites will be lurking in there. Sometimes mites can be caught from hay but often they are there in small doses, only appearing when the buns immune system is low and the mites take over.

You give them hay which is a lot further than a lot of rabbit owners go in the country AND you noticed they had mites and are doing something about it. You've done absolutely nothing wrong and they are lucky o have such a caring bunny mummy.

It may well be the hay/straw you are using but I woudn't jump in and get pet shop hay too quickly if I were you (in cas ethat's what your plan was). Mine got mites from the shrink wrapped stuff on sale in a saddlery. I have tried different hays since and have settled on bales of hay from a different saddlery and not had any issues at all and it's also cheaper and smalles amazing.

Don't, it's not your fault, it happens to everyone at some point. The good thing is that you've noticed it. Rabbits sometimes don't scratch a lot with mites, so they can be difficult to notice. As I said, it might not be the hay.

I am pretty surprised your vet didn't notice it as they were in for a general check up :?

I am pretty surprised your vet didn't notice it as they were in for a general check up :?

i know im a bit mad about this actually.....
steve had his vhd jab, she was checking where he had it last time so was quite cose to his fur.....maybe she thought the same as me and that it was specks of dirt????? she is a very good vet usually

Are you sure they aren't lice? Lice don't tend to create symptoms because they just run up and down the fur. Mites are clearly in the skin and show dandruff generally.

I'm currently fighting a licey battle with mine.

It is stressful but either mites or lice, ivermectin is the appropriate treatment.

Be careful putting a spot on on an injection site though because I imagine that will stiiiiiiiiiiiiing.

Are you sure they aren't lice? Lice don't tend to create symptoms because they just run up and down the fur. Mites are clearly in the skin and show dandruff generally.

I'm currently fighting a licey battle with mine.

It is stressful but either mites or lice, ivermectin is the appropriate treatment.

Be careful putting a spot on on an injection site though because I imagine that will stiiiiiiiiiiiiing.

oooooooohhhh i didnt know they got lice!

they look like specks of dirt, but browny coloured rather than black.....it took a while for me to see they where moving, i pulled one off and watched it on my finger nail to see if it was alive! no dandruff. there skin seems fine...

and ouch! poor steve!

oooooooohhhh i didnt know they got lice!

they look like specks of dirt, but browny coloured rather than black.....it took a while for me to see they where moving, i pulled one off and watched it on my finger nail to see if it was alive! no dandruff. there skin seems fine...

and ouch! poor steve!

That sounds right like the liceys some of my bunnies currently have, incluing colour. I suspect that's what they are.

They sound more like fleas. When mine had lice the rabbits had a little bald patch with flakey dandruffy skin not little creatures running thought their fur.

Helen xx

It isn't your fault. My guinea pigs got mites when I first got them from a bad batch of hay and the stress of moving. They had 2 injections from the vets but then I used Beaphar Spot On and that cleared it up straight away :wave:

As others have said though it could be lice? I couldn't see the mites in my piggies at all, just bald patches

well i took steve with me to pick the pescription. the vet nurse had a look for me after i explained i though t was mites but then learnt they could get lice. its lice!

the pescription is XENO 450 spot on treatment. it cost me £25 pounds (now dont get me wrong i would have paid £100 to keep them healthy) which i though was they whole treatment but it isnt and its not even a full box (6 pipets in a box) they's 4 pipets in it which will treat the two of them once, then i have to get the pescription again in a fortnight. :(

does any body use the vet uk site? is it reliable....??? now i know what i need im tempted to order it from them to complete the course. and have some if they re-occure

I'm finding it far cheaper to treat mine for lice with injections at the vets (just incase you want to try those instead).

You'll also need to treat their environment and such.

I've used the VetUK site, and I've even ordered XENO 450 from it! Think it was £17 something for 6 pipettes. No bother with them at all.

Can't say if this is the best treatment for it though.

Back