• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Why would my vet say tear duct flushing is pointless?

Ambience

Warren Veteran
He said this regarding patch and blaze with dental problems.

Blaze had his tear ducts flushed- so i suggested it for patch- he said there i no point and i shouldn't have flushing done anymore, it's not going to improve anything.

Any ideas, Thanks x

I guess that depends on their problem and the symptoms they are exhibiting.

Did you not ask your vet?

I think it's a question to ask the vet who has seen the rabbits not us lot. He/she will tell you exactly why he thinks this the case.

It might be however, that the roots are so bad that no amount of flushing will clear the area as the gap is too small due to root growth.

My vets just said the buns have dental spurs and suspected pasturella infection, which is why the two weekly treatment with baytril and antibiotics and then 2 week break- then repeat.

Both of them have severe constantly runny eyes.

They just said there was no point to the flushes they wouldn't do anything. It was abit of a struggle as i had so many buns in with me at the time. Will ask when i go back.

Thankyou for the info xx

I should think a change in antibiotics might be helpful? or some cultures taken during the 2 week off phase to find the most appropriate antibiotic? I've never really believed baytril is sufficient for these sorts of deep seated infections. A nebuliser might really help also as well as ongoing low dose anti-inflammatories? :wave:

I should think a change in antibiotics might be helpful? or some cultures taken during the 2 week off phase to find the most appropriate antibiotic? I've never really believed baytril is sufficient for these sorts of deep seated infections. A nebuliser might really help also as well as ongoing low dose anti-inflammatories? :wave:

Agree

Surely for a chronic infection, 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off on the same antibiotic is just going to increase the resistance of the bacteria :? At the end of the fortnight, the susceptible ones will have been killed off and a few resistant ones may remain, and it is those ones that will then multiply :?

Surely for a chronic infection, 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off on the same antibiotic is just going to increase the resistance of the bacteria :? At the end of the fortnight, the susceptible ones will have been killed off and a few resistant ones may remain, and it is those ones that will then multiply :?

Agree with this also. Think you need to go back to the vet to talk this over again or find a different vet dare I say it... yours does seem to have a few rabbit savy issues if i'm not mistaken :?

Agree with this also. Think you need to go back to the vet to talk this over again or find a different vet dare I say it... yours does seem to have a few rabbit savy issues if i'm not mistaken :?

I agree,I think you need to find a different vet that understands bunnies xxxx

Agree with this

I've never believed in pulse treatment for bacterial infections for this reason.

What many vets don't understand is that treating rabbits for infections is very different to most other pets. For something like a pasteurella infection my vet usually advises treating with antibiotics until the rabbit has been symptom-free for at least a month, and only then can the antibiotics be stopped.

With regards to the tear duct flushing...I suspect your vet may think the problem will continue despite the flushing, and repeated flushing isn't advised.

Thanks i'll get some done- They are on human eye antibiotics now, because i guess they have run out of rabbit ones to use. I have had a couple of human versions as prescribed by the vets.

The steroid eye drops they are on at the moment are anti inflammatory. The vet said the antibiotic action may wear off, but the steroid action would remain.

I don't know anything about nebulisers for bunnys- do i talk to the vet?

Thanks for the help x

That's what he suggested to do. I am not really that well up on how all the
antibiotics work- i just know they have to be taken for atleast 10 days to work.

xx

I'm moving this month- so i'll be changing vets locally- will use that opportunity to get a good bunny savvy vet sorted out. x

Agree with this

I've never believed in pulse treatment for bacterial infections for this reason.

What many vets don't understand is that treating rabbits for infections is very different to most other pets. For something like a pasteurella infection my vet usually advises treating with antibiotics until the rabbit has been symptom-free for at least a month, and only then can the antibiotics be stopped.

With regards to the tear duct flushing...I suspect your vet may think the problem will continue despite the flushing, and repeated flushing isn't advised.

Ah okay- yes i think this is the case regarding tear duct flushing- Now that patch and blaze are both neutered- could i put them together to help clean each others eyes? The vet says wait until it's been 2 weeks since blazes op before doing this.

xx

Back