• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lapinject Vhd Vaccine-*Information,Please Dont Start Another Argument*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
After my previous thread (now locked) I felt a moral responsibility to try to obtain some figures re how many Laboratory Rabbits are involved in the manufacture of the VHD Vaccine.

THIS INFORMATION APPLIES ONLY TO LAPINJECT

The manufacturer is a company called HIPRA who are based in Spain. The vaccine is sold by CEVA Animal Health on behalf of HIPRA.

The number of vaccines that can be derived from one Rabbit Liver is widely variable and is approximately 4.000- 15,000 Doses per liver. So one Laboratory Rabbit protects between 4,000-15,000 Domestic Rabbits.

PLEASE, PLEASE do not start another debate about whether to vaccinate or not or your views on how the vaccine is made. I just wanted to answer a question that many people asked and I could not do so on the original thread as it's been locked.

I for one thank you Jane for being very objective and sharing this information.

Do you have the source of where this information was obtained from at all please?

Thanks Jane.

One rabbit saving many others. That's very different from one rabbit saving one other rabbit.

I think the way I would look at it would be if I had to sacrifice one of my rabbits to save all those other rabbits, thousands and thousands, then, whilst it doesn't change the loss of that rabbit, it honours their memory and keeps them living in a different way.

Thanks to Flash I now help many other bunnies (or try to). Had he not died, I'm sure that wouldn't be the case. I miss him dearly but am very grateful to him for his direct and indirect involvement in helping others.

I think, for me, its a similar sort of thing.

Its tragically sad and horrible, nothing changes that, but none of those rabbits died in vain and have gone on to save thousands of others. I am truly sorry for their suffering though, truly, truly, truly.

Thanks for this Jane. I only read the locked thread yesterday and I was mulling over it a lot last night....I can now think about it in terms of how many buns the infected rabbit has saved.

Thank you for sharing

Thank you Jane - you are bloomin' marvellous at finding things out :wave:

I didn't think it would be anywhere near that number of vaccines, so although it would be nice if there were another way of manufacture it's good to know how many vaccines can be made (awful grammar, hope people know what I mean!)

Thanks, i too have been mulling it over and its good to know that one of those poor buns can help thousands others xxxx

*goes off to c if jane has updated Morse and LB thread yet* ;)

Thanks Jane. I too came to the other thread late, and it's also been weighing heavily on my mind.

I'm surprised by the numbers too, and hadn't expected so many doses. Hopefully it's generally nearer the 15k mark than the 4k too.

I gave up reading the locked thread despite how the vaccine is made i would still vaccinate my rabbits I could never forgive myself if one did get VHD.

Thank you Jane - you are bloomin' marvellous at finding things out

yes flippin marvelous :D thank you Jane!

Despite my saying I didn't want any more info for fear of more bad news this has really surprised me! I didn't expect it to be quite so many from one bunny! However, like all of us, Im still deeply saddened to learn how this vaccine is made! It's a shame the other thread got locked as it was a real eye opener and clearly a lot of us were unaware and I feel it's something we should know! I will be getting D&D vaccinated although this new found knowledge breaks my heart! I will however post on here before I go to see if anyone else wants to share the vial of lapinject so that hopefully some of this precious vaccine is not wasted!

Thanks again Jane!

yes flippin marvelous :D thank you Jane!

Despite my saying I didn't want any more info for fear of more bad news this has really surprised me! I didn't expect it to be quite so many from one bunny! However, like all of us, Im still deeply saddened to learn how this vaccine is made! It's a shame the other thread got locked as it was a real eye opener and clearly a lot of us were unaware and I feel it's something we should know! I will be getting D&D vaccinated although this new found knowledge breaks my heart! I will however post on here before I go to see if anyone else wants to share the vial of lapinject so that hopefully some of this precious vaccine is not wasted!

Thanks again Jane!

That's an excellent idea :)

Thank you Jane. I wasn't aware of this and now at least we can make more informed decisions based on accurate information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back