• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Paranoid bun mum - buns getting stuck in tunnels?

kaths101

Warren Veteran
with all this talk of tunnels - I just thought with 4 - is it safe? what if one goes in one end and one the other and they get stuck?
I read early on in joining this forum about a bun suffcating and dying in a tunnel because 2 got wedged in and that has always stayed with me!! :cry::cry::cry:

With The green plastic tunnels - is there room for 2 buns to pass each other?? Do you put air holes in (the owner of the bun mentioned above said that if she had put air holes in the bun would have survived :cry:)...

Im just worried about all 4 of mine trying to cram in at once!

Wow id never even thought of that :shock:
in a short cardboard tunnel like mine (off hay experts, the blue and pink swirly one) i doubt they could get stuck, plus mine dont actually fill it so there'd still be air able to get in if they did.
I guess its the long fabriccy type ones that are the most dangerous? But then of course you could just butcher it to get them out :?

with all this talk of tunnels - I just thought with 4 - is it safe? what if one goes in one end and one the other and they get stuck?
I read early on in joining this forum about a bun suffcating and dying in a tunnel because 2 got wedged in and that has always stayed with me!! :cry::cry::cry:

With The green plastic tunnels - is there room for 2 buns to pass each other?? Do you put air holes in (the owner of the bun mentioned above said that if she had put air holes in the bun would have survived :cry:)...

Im just worried about all 4 of mine trying to cram in at once!

I never thought of that:shock:
There is NOT room in the green, plastic tunnels for two buns to pass. I only have one little lionhead, and he backs out backwards if he decides to not continue all the way thru. The tunnel is plenty big enough for him to pass thru.

they will be fine mine do it all the time

bunnyday019.jpg

bunnyday018.jpg

bunnyday011.jpg

bunnyday009.jpg

bunnyday007.jpg

bunnyday004.jpg

I guess its the long fabriccy type ones that are the most dangerous? But then of course you could just butcher it to get them out :?

The green, plastic ones are concertina and quite thin plastic, I would imagine they would cut easily with a pair of scissors.

they can turn around in the tunnel if they want to, even my big fat bunny can:lol:

they wont suffocate, they cant really get stuck

they will be fine mine do it all the time

bunnyday019.jpg

bunnyday018.jpg

bunnyday011.jpg

bunnyday009.jpg

bunnyday007.jpg

bunnyday004.jpg

aww, they are quite wide tunnels though where did you get them from? I was going to get the green ones for my 4, I know they can back out if they meet head on but what if they get stuck? :( I will probably be better off getting shorter, wider tunnels

The green, plastic ones are concertina and quite thin plastic, I would imagine they would cut easily with a pair of scissors.

I think the issue would be if they got stuck while you were out though. ;)

I can remember it being mentioned too, but I'm sure that the tunnel was very very narrow in diameter, and the poor owner hadn't realised her buns had outgrown it. :( The same thing can happen with gerbils if you give them the very skinny tubes (that tin foil or cling film come on).

So, while it was an awful tragedy and something to be aware of, as long as the tunnel is at least a little bigger than the buns in question they will be able to back out if necessary. :)

aww, they are quite wide tunnels though where did you get them from? I was going to get the green ones for my 4, I know they can back out if they meet head on but what if they get stuck? :( I will probably be better off getting shorter, wider tunnels

the big furry one is from our old cat post the other one is pets@home which isnt that wide really only about 20 cm and ive seen 6 pile up in the furry one before now lol

I think the issue would be if they got stuck while you were out though. ;)

I can remember it being mentioned too, but I'm sure that the tunnel was very very narrow in diameter, and the poor owner hadn't realised her buns had outgrown it. :( The same thing can happen with gerbils if you give them the very skinny tubes (that tin foil or cling film come on).

So, while it was an awful tragedy and something to be aware of, as long as the tunnel is at least a little bigger than the buns in question they will be able to back out if necessary. :)

Thanks karen, yes I was worried about them being stuck while I was at work, they could be there for 6/7 hours!
Thanks thats put my mind at rest, I didnt realise it was a narrow tunnel - I guess as long as they dont get totally wedged - like you say the tunnel is wider than them they should be ok!

I think there is also a problem with the fabric tunnels with rings in as they can collapse and trap bunnies inside. I seem to remember reading a thread about that...

This is the sort I mean

The green plastic ones can't collapse and are quite wide so I wouldn't have thought they would be a problem.

Back