• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why do people think that bunnies are such a joke??

Bitzy

Mama Doe
I can't beliiieeve the reaction I've had from various different people about my bunnies over the last couple of days .... they're all very quick to say how cute bunnies are etc etc ..... but when it comes to mentioning vets visits, meds etc .... they seem to think its 'hilarious' that a bun should be given pain relief or antibiotics!! ..... not to mention them laughing when they've found out that the bunnies had a fight in the first place!!

If it were a cat or a dog they'd have a totally different opinion ....... so why is it different for rabbits?

Other than my immediate family, most people I know think that rabbits are cute but other than that - a complete joke!!! :evil:

ditto this :(, then as soon as you say you have more than one .. "oh do you breed them then"

NO,

"then why so many"

EUGH *walks off* :roll:

I get this all the time too. Last year Twinkle was ill and it cost be best part of £1000 with two vets involved to get her well... my parents basically called me irresponsible to waste such money when I am not well off. My brother also said the same.

People at work asked why I needed so much time off for "just a rabbit"...

Ugghhh, hate people sometimes!

Oh god dont get me started on this! People still seem to think bunnys are kids pets, they look at me like im barmy when i talk about my buns, even good friends.
A really good friend of mine who has 2 dogs and is an animal lover started laughung the other day when i was telling her about when my Mimi had head tilt. She thought the thought of a bun rolling uncontrollably was funny :shock: FUNNY?? :shock::evil: I told her flat out it was far from funny being up with her all night, medding her and most of all feeling so upset that something i love as much as she loves her dogs, was in so much pain. She did apologise and said she didnt realise but i was still upset by it.
I literally have 2 friends who understand and take my bunnys seriously (and oh of course) The others think its a joke :censored::censored::censored:

I get this from work. They are all guys though so they are 'not manly enough'

i guess i am a bit of a girl though :roll: I'm too 'softy softy'.

People don't understand the joy you can get from a rabbit because of how much hard work it CAN (not is) be to look after them, in comparison to a dog/cat etc.

People are too judgemental of others, full stop :( I always wonder why people can't just be happy for other people to do what makes them happy?

I get this from work. They are all guys though so they are 'not manly enough'

i guess i am a bit of a girl though :roll: I'm too 'softy softy'.

People don't understand the joy you can get from a rabbit because of how much hard work it CAN (not is) be to look after them, in comparison to a dog/cat etc.

People are too judgemental of others, full stop :( I always wonder why people can't just be happy for other people to do what makes them happy?

I get laughed at from the teenagers renting next door.. I get snide comments like "living next door to a farm" and stuff... I only have two pairs of bunnies in the garden. Not exactly a farm :evil:

People think that with a lot of animals, not just rabbits. Cats and dogs seem to be the only animals that are really taken seriously. Its so annoying. I especially hate the way people act about what they call "farm animals" (I loathe that term), animals people think are "gross" like rats or "mean" like pit bulls or "kiddie animals" like hamsters. Theres just so many misconceptions. Its so stupid.

With the situation I'm in at the moment, alot of people think that dogs are second class animals. But if it were a horse, that'd be a COMPLETE different story.
It makes me sick. Everyone finds it hilarious that I love rabbits. Ridiculous

Gah it makes my blood boil it does :evil:

When my bun tilly died and a certain 'friend' of mine kept making 'hilarious' comments about putting her into a pie etc, one day i just said to him it doesnt matter what you think about buns, what matters is your friend is hurting and you're going out of your way to make it worse. I said it loud so everyone could hear and i think some ppl are startinv to realise how much they mean to me now.
I dont mind being 'mad bunny lady' (call a spade a spade afterall ;)) its just when me or my buns get made fun of that really gets my back up. Theyre like my children and i wont have anything said about them!

I'm quite lucky in that most people realise Spenser's importance to me, but I don't think they extend it to rabbits in general. I suspect he is regarded as a baby-substitute by some friends, which is a bit annoying as I've never, ever expressed any sense of lack because I don't have children. I don't want a cat, dog or baby ... but I could be persuaded by another rabbit if I had my own house and garden. ;):love::lol:

It sooo winds me up - I was really upset about the buns fighting yesterday (not to mention, stressed, worried etc) and all my colleagues could do was take the mickey!!

Thing is, one colleague in particular had a rabbit years ago and still bangs on now about ....... oh I never bothered doing that with my rabbit (vaccs, neutering etc) and he lived to be 6!! He did have a kind of weird discharge from his nose/eyes when he died mind!!! :shock: :?

Yet she still knows better when it comes to animal care!!

I can just imagine if she had 2 dogs instead of 1 and they'd had a fight .... she'd be a complete nightmare - but its ok for rabbits to fight!!

Gets me sooo mad!!

Generally my family is very supportive. They are a bit funny about how many I have though. Friends tend not to say too much either as they know i'll just have a massive rant at them and tell them to :censored: off :lol: I've been an animal lover my whole life and people tend to realise that quite quickly. That said most of my mates are very compasionate people who also love animals and they fall big time for my bunnies when they meet them.

I don't care what anyone thinks. Most people will never understand the joy a (of a few in most of our cases!) healthy happy loving bunny can bring. The reality is that they are the ones missing our by not understanding. I feel sorry for them and their ignorance. I also feel smug in the knowledge that I get the greatest of gifts from my georgeous lot :love:

Worth every penny and second spent on them :D

Generally my family is very supportive. They are a bit funny about how many I have though. Friends tend not to say too much either as they know i'll just have a massive rant at them and tell them to :censored: off :lol: I've been an animal lover my whole life and people tend to realise that quite quickly. That said most of my mates are very compasionate people who also love animals and they fall big time for my bunnies when they meet them.

I don't care what anyone thinks. Most people will never understand the joy a (of a few in most of our cases!) healthy happy loving bunny can bring. The reality is that they are the ones missing our by not understanding. I feel sorry for them and their ignorance. I also feel smug in the knowledge that I get the greatest of gifts from my georgeous lot :love:

Worth every penny and second spent on them :D

Are these gifts, about the size of a raisin, brown and golden per chance? :lol:

:)

Agree that people are missing out!

Just thought I'd add that my family are very very understanding apart from my brother who thinks that they're just stupid bunnies.

I was actually wondering exactly the same thing the other day. I went to change the buns fresh water and found Jack laid in the corner of his cage on his side, so I picked him and realised that his entire right side wasn't working and I rushed him down to my parents so that my dad could give me a lift to the vets with him.

I was stood on my parents front with Jack in my arms and a car pulled up, it was a group of young lads that live down the street from my parents. They 'kindly' :evil: offered to help me with Jack by offering to take him home and feed him to his lurcher. I was quite glad when my mum came out right at that moment and mentioned that she would quite happily feed HIM to her Rottweiler if he didn't :censored: off. (I love my mum so much at times). It just so happened that the pooch was stood right behind her as she said it. Needless to say the lot of them scurried off rather quickly when they saw the size of him!

Has anyone ever read the Stories Rabbits Tell. The first few pages sum up exactly how I feel about rabbits and for the first time I thought 'someone gets it'. My family etc know I love rabbits but I can never really explain very well why so I guess its something they'll never really understand fully.

Back