• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Max is bored :(

Gemmapookie

Wise Old Thumper
Currently my newbie Max is living in my kitchen on his own. We're waiting for his hormones to dissipate post neuter, and until i have a few days off work, and then we will start bonding him with my other 2.

I hate him being on his own as he gets very bored :( He has the run of the bunny proofed kitchen (about 9ft by 9ft) He has a cage as his base/litter tray although its never closed. He has a grassy nest type thing to hide in and pull apart and a yellow pages to gnaw on although ive ben considering removing this as i think he actually eats it :shock: Ive given him loo roll tubes stuffed with hay which he likes, but again he has a tendency to eat them so im reluctant to let him have too many. I spend as much time in there with him as poss but i also have a job, oh and 2 other buns so cant be with him all the time :(

I just want to get him bonded with the others now so that he can live in the flat freely with us all as a family :love: Any ideas how i can keep him entertained in the meantime?? Xx

Aw I used to feel like this about Bobby when I was waiting for her to be speyed. Not sure what to suggest except just give him loads of attention. Oh and Bobby eats the Yello pages too:roll:

Aw I used to feel like this about Bobby when I was waiting for her to be speyed. Not sure what to suggest except just give him loads of attention. Oh and Bobby eats the Yello pages too:roll:

Is it safe for them to eat it then? Was worried coz of the print :? My other 2 just gnaw at it and spit it out but he actually injests it :roll:

I've got a cardboard and paper eating bun too! :roll: Stuff a tube with hay and he eats the tube. I've just given him a chill and chew mat from The Hay Experts - might be worth a go with your lad? :wave:

I have a bun that got a blockage from eating cardboard & paper, so you want to keep an eye on that -he was really, really ill

Is it safe for them to eat it then? Was worried coz of the print :? My other 2 just gnaw at it and spit it out but he actually injests it :roll:

And Biscuit... He actually ingests them too, but quicker than i can tell before stopping him. He eats the yellow pages too, but he eats so much hay, it seems to pass through him pretty well.

Ginger does like cardboard...yet...

I do worry about it, but can't see what you can do about it, bar not give it to them and then i feel mean!

I've got a cardboard and paper eating bun too! :roll: Stuff a tube with hay and he eats the tube. I've just given him a chill and chew mat from The Hay Experts - might be worth a go with your lad? :wave:

Thanks :wave: Ive got a chill n chew mat but its in with my other buns so pongs of them :? im going to do another hay experts buy soon but it takes a while to get here (France-costs a fortune in postage aswell :roll:) but id rather they had all new stuff when theyre bonded so that it doesnt smell of anybun.
I kinda need something home made to try out for now, as hopefully he'll only be on his own for another week :)

And Biscuit... He actually ingests them too, but quicker than i can tell before stopping him. He eats the yellow pages too, but he eats so much hay, it seems to pass through him pretty well.

Ginger does like cardboard...yet...

I do worry about it, but can't see what you can do about it, bar not give it to them and then i feel mean!

Ok i will sort him out with a toilet roll tube stuffed with hay then. He does love them and its not like he eats the whole thing, just a nibble. Hes a great hay eater so hopefully it wont harm him.

Hmmmm what else.......?

I see what you mean about the postage and the wait. I worry about Spenser being on his own too, and for various reasons he's likely to remain a single bunny. According to The Grown-Ups Guide to Rabbit Care I got from Pet Plan when I insured Spenser, untreated wicker baskets can be given to bunnies. Do you have any shops that sell them? Also pieces of edible wood - appple, pear, willow or hazel are listed. A digging box might go down well, and if you fill it with straw rather than hay it wouldn't make as much mess! Spenser loves straw - in fact he often prefers eating it to the nice hay I buy him.

I see what you mean about the postage and the wait. I worry about Spenser being on his own too, and for various reasons he's likely to remain a single bunny. According to The Grown-Ups Guide to Rabbit Care I got from Pet Plan when I insured Spenser, untreated wicker baskets can be given to bunnies. Do you have any shops that sell them? Also pieces of edible wood - appple, pear, willow or hazel are listed. A digging box might go down well, and if you fill it with straw rather than hay it wouldn't make as much mess! Spenser loves straw - in fact he often prefers eating it to the nice hay I buy him.

Thanks Susie bun, i'll def look round for a whicker basket. I think hed love a log to chew on too. Ive actually just taken ur advise and put my other twos chill n chew matt in with him, thinking it wont do any harm to accostumize him to their scent anyway. He scented it like mad but seems to like it :D I'll get them a new one with the hay experts stuff as this one is abused now! :lol:
How much time do u spend with Spenser? Max is so much better behaved when im in the kitchen with him, but my other buns and oh are starting to wonder who i am :lol:

I occasional put some pellets in the bottom of an empty egg carton and Amber spends ages getting them out and tipping it, she loves going under the cupboards too :lol: I also have a big empty box with a hole cut out that she knocks about and hides in :love:

I spend a fair bit of time with Spenser, but he does live outside (at the moment;)). He doesn't like being handled, although he will accept long stroking sessions as long as all four paws are on the ground. When he's out in the run I keep a close eye on him, and if I bring him into the house for an hour (if the weather is bad) I have to watch him like a hawk. He likes an audience, and noticeably livens up if my parents are working in the garden, even if he is not getting their undivided attention. At night I go out to the hutch several times, and always just before I go to bed as he is particularly lively then.

I spend a fair bit of time with Spenser, but he does live outside (at the moment;)). He doesn't like being handled, although he will accept long stroking sessions as long as all four paws are on the ground. When he's out in the run I keep a close eye on him, and if I bring him into the house for an hour (if the weather is bad) I have to watch him like a hawk. He likes an audience, and noticeably livens up if my parents are working in the garden, even if he is not getting their undivided attention. At night I go out to the hutch several times, and always just before I go to bed as he is particularly lively then.

Ok thanks for that :wave: I always feel like im not spending enough quality time with Max, even though i do actually spend alot of time with him. Ive got to remind myself that before he came here he was kept alone in a 2ft by 2ft cage with no toys or even anywhere tohide. And the humans wouldnt spemd time with him cozhe was 'difficult and unhandleable' ( frustrated more like :roll:) And now hes got a mumfretting about how bored he is :lol:

Biscuit and Spenser share that trait Susie :)

Max is getting an awesome life change now GemmaPookie, he may not know what to do with all the toys etc you're giving him as he's never seen anything before.

Give him time :) I'm sure he's very grateful of what your doing for him.

Biscuit and Spenser share that trait Susie :)

Max is getting an awesome life change now GemmaPookie, he may not know what to do with all the toys etc you're giving him as he's never seen anything before.

Give him time :) I'm sure he's very grateful of what your doing for him.

Thanks Gray :D
And Max very much shares that trait too, hes an absolute nightmare to handle he completely freaks out :shock: Just yesterday he decided that me stroking him is ok and he actually enjoys it. Which was a major breakthrough :D

Thanks Gray :D
And Max very much shares that trait too, hes an absolute nightmare to handle he completely freaks out :shock: Just yesterday he decided that me stroking him is ok and he actually enjoys it. Which was a major breakthrough :D

See :D

That already shows he understands you are good for him and want to help and love him.

See :D

That already shows he understands you are good for him and want to help and love him.

I hope so! My darling Mimi doesnt like to be touched in anyway as she was abused in her previous home :evil: Shes ok for handling (once ive caught her) but if i try to stroke her she moves away. Ive accepted thats how she is and dont push it atall because i want her to be comfortable and secure after all shes been through but i do yearn for the snuggles with her :cry:So i do hope Max comes to be a snuggle bun like Timmy :love:

I hope so! My darling Mimi doesnt like to be touched in anyway as she was abused in her previous home :evil: Shes ok for handling (once ive caught her) but if i try to stroke her she moves away. Ive accepted thats how she is and dont push it atall because i want her to be comfortable and secure after all shes been through but i do yearn for the snuggles with her :cry:So i do hope Max comes to be a snuggle bun like Timmy :love:

Biscuit isn't a snuggle bun at all, for the same reason, he HATES being picked up, but loves strokes/noserubs.

Ginger is the oppositie and doesn't sit still for strokes for long enough, but will let yuo pick her up and then she nuzzles under your chin and adores being cuddled and stroekd then, so we have the best of both worlds :)

Biscuit isn't a snuggle bun at all, for the same reason, he HATES being picked up, but loves strokes/noserubs.

Ginger is the oppositie and doesn't sit still for strokes for long enough, but will let yuo pick her up and then she nuzzles under your chin and adores being cuddled and stroekd then, so we have the best of both worlds :)

Awww Ginger sounds adorable :love: Reminds me of my bridge bun Tilly who was netvous at first but then fell completely in love with me and would follow me everywhere. Shed always be next to me when i was on the sofa and had lie ins in bed with me :love: I miss her every day :cry:

Back