• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Justin's front teeth

Hotrod_2008

Alpha Buck
Hey,
My vet said Justin will 99% need his front 4 teeth removed. Has anyone elso on her got a bunny with the same problem?

If so how do they cope?

karen563.jpg

He's beautiful :love:

No personal experience but most rabbits cope VERY well following incisor extraction provided it is performed by a rabbit savy vet and good after care is adhered to. Some need veggies and hay chopping up a bit smaller from then on or grass hand picked for them, but others seem to learn to adapt quite quickly. Good luck x

ETA I hope that your vet also removes the two upper peg teeth at the front (6 front teeth in total ;))

my Mae has no incisors :wave: she gets on just fine :D her little tounge sticks out sometimes :love: I sometimes have to help her eat, I have to cut up her veggies into little strips and hold some things for her like treats because they arent the right shape :lol: Im not sure if she can acctually eat grass :? she sure looks like she is :)cutting up hay is good but Mae seems to manage fine, I just keep an eye on her poos and when they get a little darker I start cutting the hay up :wave:

Hey, Thank you for your post. Im used to cuting food up as i just lost a bunny called butterfly and she could eat so i was hand feeting her :( She was my baby. For anyone to look at her she was fat but it was all fur she was so boney.

karen506.jpg

my Mae has no incisors :wave: she gets on just fine :D her little tounge sticks out sometimes :love: I sometimes have to help her eat, I have to cut up her veggies into little strips and hold some things for her like treats because they arent the right shape :lol: Im not sure if she can acctually eat grass :? she sure looks like she is :)cutting up hay is good but Mae seems to manage fine, I just keep an eye on her poos and when they get a little darker I start cutting the hay up :wave:

That's great to know about the poo i wouldnt of even fort bout that. :) Thank you

I tear parsley leaves from the stalks for my gummy bunny or else he wouldnt be able to eat them, and he loves to stick his face into a bowl of grated carrot, i am sure he sucks it up:lol:

my schumi had most of his teeth out. he still had his dried food, we just soaked it in water so he didn't have to chew. :p

my schumi had most of his teeth out. he still had his dried food, we just soaked it in water so he didn't have to chew. :p

if Justin is only having his front teeth out, only soak them for a little while :wave: He still needs the crunchyness :D my vet told me off :oops:

Lol no problem, i will just keep and eye and go by that. Thank you again your information has helped me make up my mind. :)

Hehehe my Charlie is a gummy bunny so I have to tear leaves into strips nd grate carrot but he copes just fine :). I have just learned something though... What's this about dark poos and cutting up hay :shock:? Do you mean, if the poos are dark he probably can't eat it...?

Grim has no front teeth, he's fine with everything cut into small mouth sized pieces.

Dexter, who I fostered for a while, hated thing being cut up for him and loved to eat huge pieces of spring greens and apple tops. :)

I would try not to make the pellets soggy as the dry pellets help grind down the back teeth as well as the hay.

:shock: Why?

Because she needs to keep grinding down her teeth :wave: I was softening them as she had a dental and I thought she might be a bit sore but just carried on doing it :oops:
Like Jenova says
I would try not to make the pellets soggy as the dry pellets help grind down the back teeth as well as the hay.

What's this about dark poos and cutting up hay :shock:? Do you mean, if the poos are dark he probably can't eat it...?

Not that they cant eat it, but that its not as easy so isnt always getting enough, Mae and Sebastian both have very golden poos normally so I can tell when she needs some extra help :wave:

:shock: Why?

Good luck to Justin. :wave: xx

His front teeth never meet, so every 4 weeks at a max off we go to the vets to have them trimmed. I mean he isnt having a problem eating, the old fat bun :lol: but it will be less stressful for him to go there n have them out rather having a car journy everytime. :)

Back