• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does he need VHD jab?

chul

Staff member
Took Pepy to the vets last night for his first myxi injection, but the vet told me because he is an indoor bunny he doesn't need the VHD jab. I plan to let him in the garden in a run.. and I thought he would need it? Can you help?

He will need it.

Even if he never goes outdoors he will still need it because it can be carried on shoes and clothing and he can still catch it from those.

He will need it.

Even if he never goes outdoors he will still need it because it can be carried on shoes and clothing and he can still catch it from those.

Thats what I thought, stupid vet. I know he cant have it for 2 weeks after the myxi one right?

Ditto.

In order for all buns to be protected, they need to be vaccinated regardless of where they live.

It never ceases to amaze me how many vets still believe this and it's worrying as when you are a client, you would naturally believe your vet knows what he is talking about if that's your only point of reference.

I have also heard vets say this of Myxo vacc's for house rabbits - shows a total lack of understanding of the virus.

Ditto.

In order for all buns to be protected, they need to be vaccinated regardless of where they live.

It never ceases to amaze me how many vets still believe this and it's worrying as when you are a client, you would naturally believe your vet knows what he is talking about if that's your only point of reference.

I have also heard vets say this of Myxo vacc's for house rabbits - shows a total lack of understanding of the virus.

Ditto this.

My first vet said i didnt have to bother with either for Biscuit as he was a house rabbit.

I already knew he shuold, so immediately changed vets.

They say myxi every 6 months, VHD once a year and send out reminders and also inform of early boosters if myxi is prominantly in our area at any time.

Chul, i'd suggest changing vets if thats an option.

and yes, 2 weeks after Myxi jab for the VHD one :)

I don't know of ANY decent vets in the area now. This one was meant to be the best, maybe if I get a different person. My OH said that man I saw is always abrupt with his Auntie and her cat.

I would change if anyone knows and near to Crewe?

Do they have a different vet at the same surgery? Sometimes some vets in any one surgery are more clued up on bunnies than others so say someone gave you a good review because they see x everytime if you saw y you may not get the same response. Some practices will let you book appointments around which vet you want to see.

Do they have a different vet at the same surgery? Sometimes some vets in any one surgery are more clued up on bunnies than others so say someone gave you a good review because they see x everytime if you saw y you may not get the same response. Some practices will let you book appointments around which vet you want to see.

Yeh, thats all I can think of at the moment. I didn't catch his name but will just ask to 'not have the male vet i had last time'. :?

I agree:) Basil is a houserabbit too, but he goes out into his run outside as well. Plus we travel with him a fair bit into an area where there are lots of wild rabbits and foxes. Just wouldn't take the chance and would always have him vaccinated:)

Thanks everyone. I was sure he was wrong when he said it, I even got him to repeat it and confirm, but I didn't want to cause a fuss there and then. :oops:

Just googled it and found a RAWF artical from 2007 thats says...

There are lots of ways your rabbits could pick up the virus:

1/Food (e.g. hay) or water contaminated by infected wild rabbits.
2/Birds or insects may bring the virus to your rabbits on their feet or in their droppings, which your rabbits may eat if they graze on the lawn.
3/The virus may be blown on the wind.
4/You (or your dog or cat) might accidentally bring the virus home on your feet from infected wild rabbit droppings, and vermin around rabbit hutches might bring it along too.
5/You might pick it up from other peoples’ rabbits, for example at a show or even if another rabbit owner handles your rabbits.

The virus itself if extremely tough and can survive for many months in the environment, and can even resist temperatures of 60 degrees centigrade!

I don't know of ANY decent vets in the area now. This one was meant to be the best, maybe if I get a different person. My OH said that man I saw is always abrupt with his Auntie and her cat.

I would change if anyone knows and near to Crewe?

There are a few of us around the Cheshire area who have decent vets, not Crewe specifically but if you were willing to travel PM Capel as she has been to a couple in Cheshire who are good (think most recent one is Nantwich?)

Just heard back from my friend and she says

Pool Farm Vets in Betley. Sebastian Daly is the bunny savvy vet there. 01270820007.

Back