• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Re-homing Advice Needed For a Friend

Lola's Mum

New Kit
Hi Everyone

Back in the Summer my friend bought a par of female rabbits from 'Pets At Home' :cry:! About 8 weeks ago she went to feed them in the evening and to her dismay found a nest with 4 babies in the hutch. Luckily no damage was done before she could seperate Pickles (Daddy) from Smartie and her babies. PAH were very good and paid to have Pickles neutered and also supplied her with a cage for the mum and babies. They also offered to rehome the babies through the adoption centre for her when they are old enough. Unfortunatley one of the babies died so she was left with 3. 33 days after the babies were born my friend went to feed mum and babies to find another nest with a futher 8 babies :shock: As Pickles had not been put back with Smartie since the discovery of the first litter she must have got pregnant again on the same day that she gave birth (poor Pickles!!).

The last few weeks have been very traumatic from her, trying to cope with 13 rabbits! She went away for a short break and got a phone call from one of the rabbit sitters to say that one of the babies had lost an ear!!! The ear was found in the outdoor run. We can only imagine that either a cat or fox had managed to grab it through the wire. The baby (now know as Vincent) seems absolutley fine, apart from now only having the one ear!

Her dilemma is what to do about rehoming them, particularly Vincent. She doesn't want to risk advertising them herself for fear that they will end up in bad homes and she doesn't really want to do it through PAH as she feels they will not do proper checks. Is there anything you can suggest. It's breaking her heart that she has to part with them :cry:

Marie

No advice, but I bet she could put them in the rabbits in need section on here and someone would have Vincent by the end of the day... :roll:

Some of the Babies

Babies.jpg

BabyBuns.jpg

Smokey.jpg

She could advertise in veterinary surgeries and do the home checks herself or pay for a local rescue to do the home checks if they have the time.
She could put the buns on Rabbit Rehome as that is for adoptions only, no sales. Again, she would have to home check herself. She could print off the information sheets and give them to prospective owners to read before agreeing to them adopting.

I think if Pets at Home have offered to take the babies in for sale, I would do that, except for Vincent. 13 rabbits are a lot of babies to find homes for.

What a shock for her,I hope this story has a happy ending,I expect the Mum bit the ear off as My Rabbit Stumpy,a british giant had both his ears bitten off by mum at a day old
DSCN3771.jpg

If she needs any help with knowing what to do for a home visit I'm happy to supply info (I have various forms and such that she is welcome to have a look at and use, or get ideas from), and also info packs for her to give out too, if she wants them. I used to homevisit for the RSPCA and wrote an adoption pack to give out.

I would say do not give them to PAH..they made a mistake in sexing her original pair and could do so again with these
Also putting young rabbits in their adoption centre is them just selling more stock..and yep..no checks so no guarantee of a good home

if foster homes can be found for them I'm sure a rescue would take them when they have space...we would but at present VERY full..having said that our rehoming has picked right p so you never know
See if she can find foster homes..then ask a rescue that homechecks and vacs..if they would help
Also ask PAH for money towards the cost of neuter and vacs all the babies as this can then be given to the rescue to make sure they do not lose out

Thank you for all your replies. I will make some enquiries for her to local rescues. Like the fostering idea. I could probably help out doing that with a few of them. Am going to give her the web address so she can come on line and join this wonderful community.

Marie x

Thank you for all your replies. I will make some enquiries for her to local rescues. Like the fostering idea. I could probably help out doing that with a few of them. Am going to give her the web address so she can come on line and join this wonderful community.

Marie x

Are you in Bedofrdshire? If you are i can help out by taking one female? If that helps. I can't take anymore as i will be moving soon. But my couison whats a female house bunny. Hope this helps. :)

:wave: hi just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone for all the advice & to Lola's mum for helping me - I have contacted the National Animal Welfare Trust and have to call them back next week to see if they are able to take my bunnies & they said if they can take them that they will rehome them in pairs, so fingers crossed :) x

Back