• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I think Riley is stressed... U/D post #7

abi2047

Mama Doe
As the title says. I went to go get him into his hutch and he is breathing really fast. He is led down in his bed with his head flat on the floor. When i opened the door and started stroking him he showed no interest. I think something may of scared him :(

Last edited:
How is he acting?

Is he eating? drinking? pooing? weeing?

Fast breathing can be a sign of many things, pain, stress, fear, etc, and it may be smart to get him checked out tonight if he is unresponsive.

I have just got him inside into the kitchen so I can keep an eye on him. I have left some food out there, with hay and a pet carrier open so he can feel secure. He has eaten some hay and I don't know whether he has poo'ed or wee'd because he already had poo and wee in the hutch so im not quite sure. :(

How is he acting?

Is he eating? drinking? pooing? weeing?

Fast breathing can be a sign of many things, pain, stress, fear, etc, and it may be smart to get him checked out tonight if he is unresponsive.

He is now a bit more lively he ate a very small bite of hay and knocked his food over and now he is sat still, breathing fast, but looking sorry for himself. :?

I think you need to call a vet in case this is a physical problem, like gas, for example.

I think you need to call a vet in case this is a physical problem, like gas, for example.

I can't at the moment because my mum is out with my sisters at a school thing and I am only 14. I have text her but i think her phone is on silent. Is there anything I can do in the mean time?? :? I am panicking :(

Hi abi, sorry I didn't reply, I was offline.

Sounds like you have done brilliantly for him :) If you keep an eye on him then hopefully all will be well. You should be really proud of yourself.

Oh, and I had no idea you were 14, sorry. You come across as much older :)

Hope you're ok too and less panicked now.

Tracy

Hi abi, sorry I didn't reply, I was offline.

Sounds like you have done brilliantly for him :) If you keep an eye on him then hopefully all will be well. You should be really proud of yourself.

Oh, and I had no idea you were 14, sorry. You come across as much older :)

Hope you're ok too and less panicked now.

Tracy
Its ok, I will check on him just before I go to bed. I knew he was better because he was in the kitchen one minute then came into the front room with a mouthful of food and jumped on my lap :) I had to take him out before my mum got home :( I will give him a final check later before I go to bed to make sure hes ok. Thankyou for your advice Sky-O

Last edited:
Ha ha. Cheeky bunny.

Maybe it was all an act to get some extra snuggle time inside. :lol:

If you do think something outside scared him then have a chat with your mum and see if you can work out what it was that might have scared him, then see if you can think of ways to stop it happening again.

My mum did say something might of spooked him outside. I did mention having him as a house bun but my mum has just put all new carpet down all around the house and my sister wouldn't appreciate having him in the bedroom with us because she thinks he smells and I don't have an indoor cage. :( I would love him to be a house bun, I could spend so much more time with him :(

Back