• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What Can You Tell Me About Pasteurella?

Starlight

Warren Veteran
I have acquired two rabbits that have pasteurella.

One male, castrated, one female un-neutered.

I know the basics, but want to know peoples experience of it, and do's/don'ts and what would be the best environment for them to be rehomed to, as I have heard conflicting information on it.

They are beautiful. The male is a silver agouti/chinny colour with the most expressionate eyes, and the female's is a dwarf lop, white with tri-colour ears and round her eyes.

They are currently being quarantined in my room away from any other rabbits.

At this moment in time, all they have is evidence of once wet eyes(they are dry but you can see where the fur is slightly matted).

I was told dark discharge from nose, and wet eyes.

That was simply what I was told when I took them. The female apparently developed it after having an emergency c-section after two kits were retained inside. The male was castrated and put back with her a month after this.

The male developed it just before this. I was not told what treatment, as they didn't know (but assumed it was probably just Baytril)

I would guess how you care for them would be the same as all the sneezy,snotty babies you had, if it is indeed pastuerella, or similar?

In that case I'd get them checked over by a Vet again as the symptoms may be Dental related.

It'd be a good idea to get some swabs done too, BEFORE they start on any abx for their nasal/ocular discharge xx

I assumed it would Tracy, but the people said thay were told they can never be near any other rabbits as their vet said pasteurella is highly contagious? :?

No c+s tests have been done.

I am hoping to have them checked over tomorrow morning, so hopefully, there won't be signs of any issues!

I assumed it would Tracy, but the people said thay were told they can never be near any other rabbits as their vet said pasteurella is highly contagious? :?

No c+s tests have been done.

I suspect it might be one of those debateable issues like EC because some people say that the majority of rabbits carry pastuerella and it comes out when their immune system is taking a battering (such as say after a spay, etc), and so its not a 'major' issue with regards to other bunnies because most have been exposed and carry it anyway.

Other people say keep a sneezy bunny X amount of space away from others, they can't interact and need to be heavily quarantined, etc.

So talking to your vet about it would be ideal because he can advise you based on what he can see.

No rest for the wicked, hey Kris!

Ghostie had a quite bad last year.
She was treated and it cleared up really quickly. She's never had it since.

Poor little rabbits. :( There seem to be a lot of buns with Snuffles on RU at the moment. Vibes for all of them.

Back