• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A wildie at uni with myxi I think :(

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
I'd hardly seen any wild buns on campus this term and I had a gut feeling why. So I had an hour free and I went on a bunny hunt. I found one single bun by the music department and it was so sad. His eyes were swollen shut and he was eating away. Someone was playing a sad song on a piano and all the autumn leaves were falling around him. I just stood and watched him for ages. :(

I went to find the other warrens I know about and every other bun I saw after him seemed fine. I don't know if it was myxi for sure but now I'm worried about my buns. Their vaccines were topped up less than a week ago. What can I do to minimise the risk as I walk in wildie poo every day? I'm going to try and hunt someone down in the uni who knows about or researches the rabbits so see if I can find out what's going on. Sorry if there's typos I'm writing this on my phone in a lesson.

Last edited:
Oh no :(
My mum has lots of rabbits on the campus at her uni (she's a lecturer). She says sometimes they all disappear for a while, which is probably myxi...

I'm pretty sure it can't be passed in poo (it's a virus and won't last outside a host). It's carried by biting insects so maybe put some mozzie nets or flypaper around your rabbit's home?

Fingers crossed I've not seen any mixy this year. It's been rife the past copule of years (at work), and the colonies have been decimated. Saw one infected rabbit about 3 years ago being chased away to die by it's companions... that's when we had a large rabbit population. It's also when I came across one less than a mile away from where I live so there and then decided to get the rabbit that was in my care vaccinated.

It was just so sad, I can't get over it. The music, the falling leaves, the long grass and the sun, low in the sky. It was so surreal and peaceful somehow. I just had to watch him, I felt like I needed to remember him as he's not long for this world. :(

I was so sad as he's the first wildie I've seen on campus this year. When I went to look at the other warrens they all seemed deserted and I just feared the worst. I went back the way I'd come to see if I could see him again, and then I spotted the hill with had been behind me to begin with. And there were about forty rabbits up there. I went to have a closer look and they all seemed fine. I took a picture so I'll have to post that later. I love the bunnies on campus. I remember the first day I got to Uni, I was feeling really down and worried about being left there and then I saw the rabbits. They've always made me happy. :)

No bunnies at Glasgow uni. :( Poor wee myxi wildie - hope he or she has had a good life and doesn't suffer too much.

I'm pretty sure there's a lead rabbit researcher at the uni, I'm going to hunt someone down tomorrow and find out what they know and what's being done.

I've just emailed a lecturer in the uni. She's done over 20 years non invasive research on the buns on campus and written all sorts of stuff on myxi, vhd and behaviour etc. I hope she responds. :)

Back