• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

When is it time to say goodbye?

thenamesJT

Mama Doe
So I had a little sit down with myself & thought about an animals quality of life over my love for them.

When is it time to let go?

When you ask what is best for that animal at that time and its to let them go.

Its incredibly sad but you have to take your feelings about them out of it and look solely from their point of view.

Are you facing this decision?

Yes I am, our 13 year old labrador has a few lumps on her that are now getting bigger. Shes had ops previously to remove them but weve come to the decision that its time to stop the ops & monitor her for any signs of pain.

Those big brown eyes are telling us 'no more trips to the vets table, just more cuddles before its time to go'. :cry:

I usually go by whether an animal is still keen to eat, not in any pain and still bright. You can often see it in their eyes, they become dull and sad.

This is what is so hard with Jimmy, our 16 year old cat. He is very thin, anaemic and hyperthyroid, recently he is gagging when eating- except one type of food. It looks like he will have to be sedated to see what is going on. I will probably go ahead because he is keen to eat and still alert and bright- we may then have to make a descision when the results come through. If he can't eat we will have to say goodbye anyway.:(

Yes I am, our 13 year old labrador has a few lumps on her that are now getting bigger. Shes had ops previously to remove them but weve come to the decision that its time to stop the ops & monitor her for any signs of pain.

Those big brown eyes are telling us 'no more trips to the vets table, just more cuddles before its time to go'. :cry:

I'm so sorry you are faced with that. The fact you are following what your lab says though shows how much you love her. It sounds lik the right decision for her, however painful it may be for you.

I always worry about this, but when it comes to it I think you just know :( In the past I have just known that its time to say goodbye

I hope you are ok x

My whole family have come to terms with it, instead of being sad we are enjoying her to the max & trying not to treat her any different to the rest of the dogs. :)

When they are old, you can find joy in the fact theyve had a happy & fun life. :) When I lost Sookie my female rabbit at 3 months old....I felt she had been robbed of her life too soon.

Take lots of photos and videos and create many happy memories. I've started a 'Happy Times Diary' in the pictures section for my bunny, maybe something like that might be nice for you to do for your girlie? I've also written an article about having a bunny put to sleep and when is the right time. Not all of it will apply to your dog, but some of it might apply to you. If you want it, let me know and I'll PM it to you.

i think they tell you in their own way...just think quality of life....are there more bad than good days ? are they eating/pooing/weeing? are they in pain that cant be controlled? do they take interest in their surroundings? in your heart you will know....:cry:

I don't think love gets in the way. Love creates a bridge between you and your pet. They tell you and you know.

Back