• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

baled hay - where to store it.

Where does everyone keep their hay bales? Im thinking about buying farm hay, but i have absoloutley NOWHERE to put it.

Ive been doing well with "comfy pets" hay, but the price i got charged the other day has made me think twice about going back. I HATE being ripped off, id rather give my money away! It was really dusty too, i was coughing for a good hour after.

Im going to go and buy some bagged hay from Lane End farm when i walk the dog, hopefully that will tide me over untill i get payed on tuesday.

But any suggestions for storing hay? ive taken over my dads shed already.

I keep mine in the shed in a duvet cover.....

Im not sure i could fit anything else in the shed. Unless i store all of their toys and blankets in my room, but then that means me having to trapes up and down all of the time, its a bit invonvenient.

Mine is in a duvet cover in the garage (not used by cars).

I also have one of the plastic cusion boxes from argos which was exactly the right size but they don't seem to do the same one as I only paid about £20 for it.

I have a plastic cushion cover box too. Ours is in the garage (also never has a car in it - just loads of my Dad's junk :roll:). The problem with the plastic box is that it doesn't allow the dustier bits and any stray creepy crawlies to get out. It works ok for us, we haven't had problems with the latest bale but the newly cut stuff was dustier and had more bugs in so we had to lay it on a tarp in the garden for half an hour before bagging it in old megazorb sacks for use. I still do this now out of habit. It doesn't take a lot of effort and gets any shorter strands out.

I think the best option is a wooden platform with slats round the sides to stop it falling out once you start using it. The bales are brilliant though. Ours are always lovely quality and SO much cheaper than pet shop hay where you're paying a premium for it to be bagged.

I did try the duvet cover but it got damp at the bottom and also a mouse or something ate a hole in it and got in.

It just needs to be off the floor and not getting damp/wet. I'd be reluctant to store in anything plastic unless I knew it was totally dry before it went in or you may get mould.

It just needs to be off the floor and not getting damp/wet. I'd be reluctant to store in anything plastic unless I knew it was totally dry before it went in or you may get mould.

It doesn't seem to affect the actual hay the way I do it. I do leave the lid open sometimes for a bit of air though.

Back