• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

HELP PLEASE - Dizzi & Rascal have had a big fight!! Pics included!

Bitzy

Mama Doe
.... and Dizzi's bitten Rascal's ear!!

Checked on them before I went in the shower - fine and dandy - came out of the shower and checked again - run full of fur!! Ran out and checked them both over, Dizzi was fine but Rascal's ear was bleeding - she's bitten it!!

OH has gone home as I've had to come into work this morning but am asking for the afternoon off to see if I can get them in the vets ....... everyone thinks I'm overreacting by taking them to the vets ........ here's some pics - what do you think??

(sorry about the blurredness of the pics, I took them on my phone)

Photo1160.jpg

Photo1161.jpg

Photo1162.jpg

Photo1163.jpg

Photo1164.jpg

Photo1165.jpg

Photo1166.jpg

Photo1168.jpg

This was them before I left!!

Photo1169.jpg

Last edited:
PS/ Meant to say, I gave them both Metacam in case they were in pain but then realised it was about 6 weeks out of date!!! (left over from Dizzi's spey) :shock:

Will it do them any harm??

Personally, i'd say vets, as Rascal may be in a little pain and you wouldnt want an infection etc.

I'd be taking mine in this situation, but thats just me

the ear bite doesn't look too bad to me, so I wouldn't worry about it too much :)
BUT if it puts YOUR mind at rest though, vet it is!

as for the out of date medicine, can't help there although I have done it before and it hasn't affected me lol

I'd just keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get infected. That's what I did when my Ben got bit.

I wouldn't be too hasty about russhing off to the vets. I'd do as someone else has said and just wait and see. Keep it clean and and eye on it. When i tried to bond Lilly and Dexter (and failed) Dexter bit clean through Lillys ear. I thought of it in terms of how i'd feel. My ears are pierced and it was fine for me etc... She was all healed within a few days. They recover very quickly from small flesh wounds.

I would go to the vets if that's a bite because they get infected very quickly. With my bunny wounds I tend to bathe with cooled boiled water, or, if it looks nasty, very, very dilute iodine (as supplied by my vet).

Metacam lasts for 6 months after opening so hopefully it will be fine. Don't worry about that aspect of it.

How are they acting together now?

Over the next few days you may come across more wounds and scabs on them because often they can be hard to see on bunnies and often can be easier to find when scabbed over.

Try bathing it with cooled boiled water mixed with Epsom salts or normal salt if you don't have any Epsom. I would go to the vets, bites can easily turn into abcesses and they are often much deeper than they look. Harvey had one on his leg that looked like nothing but when the vet shaved his fur it was massive

I would go to the vets if that's a bite because they get infected very quickly. With my bunny wounds I tend to bathe with cooled boiled water, or, if it looks nasty, very, very dilute iodine (as supplied by my vet).

Metacam lasts for 6 months after opening so hopefully it will be fine. Don't worry about that aspect of it.

How are they acting together now?

Over the next few days you may come across more wounds and scabs on them because often they can be hard to see on bunnies and often can be easier to find when scabbed over.

Thanks ....... they seem to be ok with each other now - OH is at home and says they're getting on ok!!

Before I left for work Dizzi was grooming Rascal and they seemed to be ok, a bit wary of each other and a little quiet but there were no signs of aggression (but then there weren't when I checked them this morning before my shower)! Can't wait to finish work now just to get back to them!

Although it doesn't look too bad..you never know. For the sake of a short trip to the vet for piece of mind if nothing else would be my option.
Hope they're soon friends again!

Fraid not no, when I checked on them pre-shower Dizzi was upstairs in the hutch and Rascal was sat in the run ....... when I came out of the shower I noticed fur all over the place so ran out and checked them both over - there was blood on the water bowl upstairs in the hutch but the majority of the fur was outside in the run.

When I got there Rascal was sat outside again and Dizzi was sat very sheepishly upstairs!!

No idea what happened! Will ask around the neighbours in case anyone saw anything this evening!

Thanks everyone ....... they're booked in for this afty at 4.20pm! Unfortunately that was the earliest appt I could get this afternoon!

I'm finishing at 12 so will go home and bathe it properly etc (I just cleaned it a bit this morning)!

Have no internet access at home at the mo (laptop is scuppered and currently being fixed) so will have to report back tomorrow from work!

Oh I hope they're ok, I should've just stayed off today instead of comin in!! I can't concentrate anyway and am sick of people smirking/laughing when I say they've had a fight!! :cry:

Pity the people who don't know bunny love. Your bunnies are ok with your OH. You've done ok going into work. Just try and keep yourself busy until you can get home.

Id deffo say vets, especially as its a loppy bun and the bite is at the bottom! Its likely the bite will contact the floor and could easily get infected, plus, it looks painful, so a bit of pain meds couldnt hurt.

I wonder what happened. One of them must have been very rude to the other.......

Hope they get along soon !!

Thanks everyone - good point TS, I hadn't thought about his ear having contact with the floor!! :shock:

I can't believe how heartless some people are - if I'd said - oh my two dogs have had a fight ..... I reckon everyone would be concerned, but say two bunnies and they think its funny! :censored:

Thing is as well, Rascal is usually the dominant one so for it to be Dizzi who's done the biting ..... :? :?

Poor boy. :(

I think you're doing the right thing by getting him to the vet; as already said rabbit bites can very easily get infected.

I'm not sure about the out of date metacam, but would say that it's always best not to give them it without consulting a vet first as it's a prescription med. ;) Definitely let the vet know that you've already given metacam though, as this may affect any painkiller (dosage etc) that your vet might want to give him.

I hope it goes well. :):)

Back