• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Your first Bunny

angelwitch

Alpha Buck
I want to know all about your first bunny!
Pics welcome ;)

My first bunny, was one that shouldn't have been a starter bun :(

She had been a bad mother to a litter, thus a bad breeder and shot in a garage and forgotten about by a school friends mother.
It was that bad that my friend didn't actually know she was in there til her mum went into the garage and came back holding a squirming thing by it's ears as when she heard I was after a rabbit she turned up at my house with a mattered terrified and well....basically wild grey lion head, she'd found an easy way to get shot off.

I called her Gypsy and I was terrified of her! :oops::oops:

She kicked, bit, scratched....So mattered she had to have clumps cut away, not by me obviously!

unfortunately with my age and no experience, I wrote Gypsy off and took her a sanctuary claiming I had found her abandoned in a box not wanting to admit I couldn't cope.....:oops::oops::oops:

I'm so sorry I let you down gypsy....If only i knew then what I did now...
I hope you're happy somewhere...:cry:

Last edited:
My first bunny was Kermit, he was my soulmate, he passed over a year ago now.

He was the one that brought me to RU as he developed head tilt. This is my first thread http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=127212
He is therefore also the reason that i have Herbie & Inca now, as i rescued them through RU.

He was the most affectionate bunny ever, even when he was dreadfully ill he would still lick you!

I miss him every day, but i am so happy to have had him.

Here is the wee angel here. (sorry about the big pic!)
P1012008.jpg

This is my first bunny

231.jpg

He's the most gorgeous little bun ever...well I think so. (Dwarf lop.) He's called Hugo. :love:

I got him when I was 14...after years of my mum refusing me a pet. (Now of course I understand completely that before then I wasn't old enough, but at the time I wasn't happy.) I looked up all I could on rabbit care, and wrote a care book for her. I don't think she read it all....but saw that I meant business. A few months later Hugo came into my life. He was from my nearest pet shop :oops:.

When I moved out to live with G, I had Hugo and his partner Rose, and then Teddy as an indoor bunny. My mum had bonded so much with Hugo and Ro that she wouldn't let me take him. He and Ro enjoy a happy life with my mum in the country. (I should probably nudge her about jabs...they're due soon and her minds like a sieve! :roll:)

What happened to Gypsy was not your fault but that :censored: who bred from her and then kept her shut in the garage. :(

Last edited:
awwwww!! Hugo is very handsome :love:
it's lovely to hear he's still with us :love:

I just wish I had known what I know now, and had had the guts to tell the sanctuary the truth as they maybe would have helped me out with her :oops::oops:

I just wish I had known what I know now, and had had the guts to tell the sanctuary the truth as they maybe would have helped me out with her :oops::oops:

See loads of us make stupid mistakes when we first get buns, best we can do now is try to learn and help other buns :)

awwwww!! Hugo is very handsome :love:
it's lovely to hear he's still with us :love:

He's an old gentleman now at 6. .....with hopefully many more years. (He's never had any health problems.

I have a lovely story (well the story isn't but the outcome is) about him and Rose.

I was away for the night, so my mum had done lock up. In the early hours of the morning she was awoken by such a noise....banging, scratching. :( She ran downstairs to find that two dogs had knocked their hutch over and had prized open the back. :cry: She locked the (very friendly :roll:) greyhound and lab into the conservatory and went to what she thought she'd find was two corpses.

She looked in where the dogs had got in, and found Rose protecting Hugo. There wasn't a scratch on him, but Rose was in an awful state.

She obviously got rushed to the vets, and had to have internal and external stitches for a gaping wound going from her shoulder to the bottom of her tummy.
The vet said that shock would probably be the end of them both.

Luckily they're both stubbornly resiliant! :lol::lol::lol: Two days later Ro was brought home and put back in with Hugo where he ran up to her and licked her for ages, before flopping by her side. :love: They're an inseparable pair! :love:

The two dogs were returned to the farm, and the person who let them out paid for the vets fees. The buns were moved to the courtyard in a brand spanking new hutch.

with his litter (who knoes which one he is, and can you spot teh odd one out? :lol: )

IMG_2702.jpg

IMG_2732.jpg

what he is like now

IMG_0974.jpg

i got him from a friend who found a rabbit who then gave birth. I picked him as I people wanted teh spotty ones :lol:

My first ever bun was a gorgeous albeit grumpy black dwarf lop who we got from Pets At Home. I don't have any pics of him unfortunately.

Back