• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Breeds....?

LauryStevens

Mama Doe
I've done some research...you can get "mini lops", the slightly larger "dwarf lops" (appologies if I've got them mixed up:shock:) english lops, then french lops and then the flemish giant which i believe is the cross between the two. Obviously there are more but they don't come into equasion with what I'm about to ask...

If a french lop is a cross between an english lop and flemish giant.......Is there such a thing called a "Mini french lop"

Appologies if I sound stupid or need correcting :lol::D

A mini french lop, lol!

I dont care too much about breeds, I just fall in love with the buns personality.

I wonder what a mini frenchie would look like though?? Afterall, they have a slightly longer face than the mini and dwarf lops.........

:lol: I'm just so curious as to if such a:lol: "breed" exists and how big they get roughly, seems a bit of a miss match jumble to me :) But I'm no expert of rabbit, infact, I no apsolutly **** all compared to most people on this forum :lol:

no...a mini lop cross a french lop is exactly that, a cross breed.
nowadays english lops and flemish rabbits arnt even crossed, as the frenchlop is now its own breed.

A mini French Lop is a contradiction really! ;)

They are all separate breeds now, so crossing is just that. (As Vee-jay says.)

There's also a German Lop which is in the middle between a Dwarf lop and a French Lop.

They should just grade rabbit sizes instead :lol: Grade A for a netherland dwarf Grade B for a mini lop and so on lol! It'd make sizing so much easier:D

I've done some research...you can get "mini lops", the slightly larger "dwarf lops" (appologies if I've got them mixed up:shock:) english lops, then french lops and then the flemish giant which i believe is the cross between the two. Obviously there are more but they don't come into equasion with what I'm about to ask...

If a french lop is a cross between an english lop and flemish giant.......Is there such a thing called a "Mini french lop"

Appologies if I sound stupid or need correcting :lol::D

Mini's are the smallest and can carry the dwarf gene.

Dwarf lops I find are quite divided in two, the show bred dwarf lops are still fairly small but bigger than the mini's, they don't have the dwarf gene. They were named the dwarf lop as they were tiny compared to the french. Pet bred dwarf lops (the ones you often find in pet shops, rescues, or with back yard breeders) tend to be very large and have pointy faces.

The breed standard for french lops and english lops says to be as big as possible, adult Frenchies have to be at least 4.5kg though. They have the same ring size.

The UK Flemish giant is different to ones elsewhere. Ours only come in the colour steel. And I've never heard of them being the results of a lop cross.

There is no Mini French Lop breed

If you want to know anything about other breeds feel free to pm me :) Also, breeds with same names differ a lot round the world, so when researching be careful your not using American sites. Our polish for example is completely different to theirs. In America theyre smallest lop (similar to our mini) is called the Holland, theyre mini is a lot bigger. I believe in Sweden their dwarf is smaller than their mini too

Last edited:
As far as I know, the Mini/Dwarf lop is supposed to be the small version of a French Lop. If you look at the ehm...... Breedthing..... Have no idea what you call them in English. But you know, what a French Lop or Mini Lop should look like etc.

If you compare those two, you'll see they have a lot in common, when it comes to their posture, the way they should be build.

Of course crossing a Dwarf with a French Lop won't just give you a Mini lop, but that is how the breed once started.

(If you think, omg what's that girl talking about..... Sorry, I'm not English! :wave::lol:)

Back