• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

When is the best time to spay and questions about rebonding after

DaydreamBunny

Alpha Buck
I have a neutered male and an unspayed female and wondered when the best time to spay the female, they are outdoor rabbits, they are bonded.

What should I do when she is spayed to try to maintain the bond.

Sorry just seeing this, just went through exact same thing about a month ago I had Lady in her hutch straight after but she refused to eat for a few days, vet advised that she should go back to free range with Donnie and just make sure he was gentle with her.
Basically get back to her regular routine asap...

So she was bonded back with him straight away and he was so gentle with her :love:
Depends on the bun though, don't allow chasing or anything strenuous...

I think though if they're out door buns she should stay in for the first night to keep her warm, not 100% on that though, my two are indoor buns.

My vet reccomended keeping them seperate for 10 days, so I seperated them but kept them together with wire between them. I also supervised them being actually together so that the bond wasn't broken, I would have probably put them together straight away but Leuki, female who was spayed kept stamping her feet and running away from Samba, which is VERY unlike her. So I just presumed she wasn't ready and waited till just over 2 weeks when she stopped doing that. It was then very easy to get them back together.

Because Leuki was 1 when she was spayed they did used to chase each other occasionaly and hump each other (dominance other one neutured - although they were also the best of friends) before the spay. I just didn't want to take that risk with that happening.
Basically I would say make sure they can at least always sniff each other, and I placed their beds next to each other as well, so they were forced to sleep together (through wire - I don't know the technical term sorry!)

Thanks for your answers, I think my girl is too young yet, I was hoping I could wait until the summer as I do not want to bring the rabbits in and then when recovered put them back into the cold. I do not want them to loose their bond either. My boy is neutered already.

If your rabbits are currently living together I woudl recommend not separating them at all, they should go to the vets together and then return home and remain together after the surgery.

If your vet does not agree to take them both on the day of surgery please change your vet and get someone who is rabbit savvy.

Like humans in times of stress, rabbits also recover quicker when kept in their normal envioroment and with their normal friends.

Many vets will neuter females when they are between 5 and 6 months old.

Back